Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filtering a portal based on two global field

This topic is 3173 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi, I'm only a week old in Filemaker, if you could please no assume I have any knowledge of FIlemaker other than the very basic understanding.

I'm trying to get a portal containing records that have been categorized; and sub categorized. I have manged to get a global field with a popup menu display all of the categories from its table, and them based on that global field, get the sub categories global field display the sub categories based on this selection.

Now what I want to do is have a portal display all of the records based on t he ID number sitting in these two fields. 

This is a very basic functionality in other database programs like MS Access, but for the life of me I cant get this to work. I load the Portal and the specify the filter in the setup, but then it shows no records at all.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Hi there!  We need more information.  How can we determine why it does not work when we have no information?  

Please provide a simple sample file showing your setup with the relationship and globals and we can help you figure it out. :-)

I apologize. I thought I was clear. I Must be using the wrong terminology. I've attached my database. The layout in question is "marine Equipment List." You'll notice the two fields at the top. I think you may only need one however. I really don't care if we use two. The aim for this layout is more of a search tool where I can click to the relevant record in a separate layout. As a sideline (and I'll be happy to place this in a different forum) I seem to be collecting additional table records. I deleted them once or twice to try and get thing to work, but the program keep adding them as instances, even though there is not data or table there. Would love to get rid of these as well just to clean up the database.

Cheers

Slipway Manager.zip

And the first thing to notice about the original example file is that is has nothing to do  with global fields.

Neither of the "filter" fields are global fields.

OK,

Started to drill into this and you lost me when I looked at the calulations. Appreciate the effort in solving the issue, however can you help me understand it?

1. Whats the "zxzx zxzx" in  the calculatiopn

2. I'm guessing the & P & (Best way to show the symbol) denotes a new line??

3. Why the calculations and can you break it down? (Remember week old newbie with File maker)

4. Why use IsEmpty? not understanding that calculation at all. 

While  it looks great, and thank you for that, It doesn't help me understand anything you did. 

Jeddell,

I used what is called a "multi-line key" which is a bit of an old school hack (but still useful in some cases). Each line is considered a separate match value. In this data relationship the LEFT SIDE calculates one line (gCat_KEY) and the RIGHT SIDE calculates multiple lines  (Cat_KEY) where we would want the record to MATCH.

The value "zxzx zxzx" is my string that will cause ALL records to match. You see the first line of the Cat_KEY field is that value. I calculate in the gCat_KEY field this string when both Filtering GLOBALS are empty. This will make all records match. It will match LINE 1 of the Cat_KEY field.

If you populate just the gCATID and leave the gSubCatID empty, the gCat_KEY will calculate a line like "
6 zxzx" which targets LINE 2 on the Cat_KEY field.

If you populate the gCATID and the gSubCatID, the gCat_KEY will calculate a line like "
6 31" which targets LINE 3 on the Cat_KEY field.

If there are any matches in the above scenario, those records will display.

Yes, the P is the PARAGRAPH RETURN (New Line) symbol

With the brief description above, the best way to see how everything works by dragging the gCat_KEY in the header and the Cat_KEY in the portal row. Try different combinations of filtering to see how everything matches.

I attached a revised version with those fields present.

Happy FileMaking ;o)

dwdc_Slipway Manager2.zip

This topic is 3173 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.