Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Displaying Fields from one Record in Another Record

This topic is 2970 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi,

I'm new to the forums, and I have a question that I hope someone can help me with.  I'm sure its rather basic, but I'm pulling my hair out!

I have a database with 2 related tables. In one layout, I would like to be able to choose a record from another table, and three fields from the chosen record appear as non-editable text in the layout.

For example, I have 10No records in the Table ‘Resources’. Each record has a 4 fields: ‘Reference No’, ‘material’ ‘finish’ and ‘element’.

In the Table ‘Schedule’, I have a layout where I want to create a record where I can choose one of the 10No record from the Table ‘Resources’ by selecting the record’s ‘Reference No’ and the other fields for that selected record (‘material’, ‘finish’ and ‘element’) are displayed next to the Reference number. 

I've tried using some functions, however I don't know how they work, and all the documentation I can find assumes one has already set it up...

Hope someone out there can help!

Cheers,

Mike

• Newbies

I have the Field 'Item_Reference' as a Drop-Down list, so I can choose the record from the other table - the field named 'Item_Ref'.  

If I add the Field 'Item_Material' from the related table, it shows an orange icon in the lower right corner of the field - telling me the field isn't related.  When I choose a record from the Drop-Down list, nothing appears in the 'Item_Material' field.

Have I failed to relate the table correctly?

Edited by FileMike

2 hours ago, FileMike said:

Have I failed to relate the table correctly?

I don't know. Does the attached file work for you?

ShowParentFields.fp7

2 hours ago, FileMike said:

If I add the Field 'Item_Material' from the related table, it shows an orange icon in the lower right corner of the field - telling me the field isn't related.

I am not familiar with such icon. Did you mean the yellow badge described here?
http://www.filemaker.com/help/14/fmp/en/html/edit_layout2.11.7.html#1191440
That will show on a related (or unindexable) field.

If you place an unrelated field on the layout, it will show an <Unrelated Table> label when you switch to Browse mode.

Edited by comment
  • Like 1

• Newbies

Thanks, comment, that was helpful.  Having a look at the file you attached and comparing it to what I had, it looked identical, however no data was displaying in the related field.

I then realised that the Drop-Down menu field was referencing the wrong table (one that had a similar name and identical data), so after correcting that, the fields are now displaying as expected.

I appreciate your help.

Kris M, sorry, but I'm unaware of the 'FileMaker training series' you mention - that would be helpful.  Perhaps you could be more helpful and link me to what you are referring to?

This topic is 2970 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.