Notification System = Force refresh on other access

This topic is 3292 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello there, I am trying to setup a notification system using slider controls that when I add a new record on my internal "notification/warnings" table it will show up on one specific user window, to show or not the slider I am using a field inside a portal, if it is set to yes it will show the notification slider, otherwise it will go to an empty slider, ok there.

When I change that field on my side, how do I force the window on that other side to refresh so it pops the notification "instantly" there saying that the new record is added? Is there a way to for user window refresh server side? Usualy it will only refresh when the user does something that asks for the records again, change layout etc, I tryed setting an ontimer script but that sometimes did get the other user while editing something or accessing something and interrupted his workflow.

Thanks!

I only two ways.

One is to user the InstallOnTimer script that runs, say every 20 seconds, to check for a status change. You're right though, that's pretty resource intensive though. And annoying to users. You can use script triggers to alleviate the annoyances (turning off the timer script when editing etc) but that's pretty development intensive.

Otherwise, I think you have to use a plugin like RemoteScripter.

• Like 1

There was a technique that use deletion of record in a utility table to remote trigger an action on another computer - As deleting records is one of the only things that dynamically updates from another client. 

http://clickworks.be/en/trigger-script-another-client

Edited by Ocean West
  • Like 2

I only two ways.

One is to user the InstallOnTimer script that runs, say every 20 seconds, to check for a status change. You're right though, that's pretty resource intensive though. And annoying to users. You can use script triggers to alleviate the annoyances (turning off the timer script when editing etc) but that's pretty development intensive.

Otherwise, I think you have to use a plugin like RemoteScripter.

Yea using an ontimer is very invasive and make users mad most of the time I will take a look into that plugin thanks!

There was a technique that use deletion of record in a utility table to remote trigger an action on another computer - As deleting records is one of the only things that dynamically updates from another client. 

http://clickworks.be/en/trigger-script-another-client

​That is actualy a good Idea, will look if I am able to apply this to my system, thanks!

I am working with another developer and should have a way to use Growl notifications pushed from server. I'll post here when its ready in the next few weeks.

Being an separate system won't interfere any running operations.

This topic is 3292 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.