Read-only Scrollable Edit Boxes

This topic is 2792 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have some edit boxes where there can be a lot of text, but I need them to read-only. I have forced the scrollbars to display, but when the field is read-only, the user can't scroll to look at them. What is the best way to handle this in a webdirect solution? (On the Pro or Go, I would put a revert in a script trigger, but that seems a little kludgy to me)

Thanks,
Ryan

7 minutes ago, Lee Smith said:

Why not just make the field Not enterable in Brows Mode?

That satisfies the read-only part, but then the user can't scroll. Some of the data entries have more text than can reasonably be presented in a 2" x 3" box, so we need to be able to scroll. 

1 hour ago, RyanESmith7 said:

What is the best way to handle this in a webdirect solution?

If it weren't for WebDirect, I'd say use a web viewer to display the field's contents. But IIRC, that won't work with IE - so I would suggest you use a calculation field defined as = YourField.

• Like 1

I was not where I could test my suggestion and I just tested it.  Unfortunately, Placeholder field, even when browse into field is allowed, does not allow the scroll bar to work.  Really, it should!  If it did, one could specify the original field as the 'calculation'.  So my suggestion should be discounted.

Another way to do this would be to use the security settings to disable editing for that field. This does still allow scrolling.

The fact that FileMaker ties scrolling to field editing has been the subject of many discussions and feature requests, e.g., https://community.filemaker.com/ideas/1044

Hey Fitch,

Thanks for that idea, and I was aware of that one, but it wouldn't work in this case because sometimes the user is permitted to edit it. other times not.I find it easier to control workflow at the layout level rather than the field level in most cases. 

Thanks again,
Ryan

This topic is 2792 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.