Portal Row Number

This topic is 4783 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

How would I get a portal row number? IE. There are 15 rows total but only 5 contain data. I want it to display the portal row number when there is data in the row like

1 Data1

2 Data2

and if the rest of the rows are empty it would not show.

I tried Get (PortalRowNumber) but that returns only currently selected row otherwise it returns 0.

Thanks.,

* Just found a workaround too - Made a Get (PortalRowNumber) in Parent table as an unstored calc and an Autoenter Calc in LineItems = Get (PortalRowNumber) from the parent table. That worked to (not sure if it will work smoothly or not).

Glad I asked tho @@ is the right way - many times I end up using something I "discovered" how to do myself while there are much better methods out there.

always learning.,

Thanks.,

You do not need to use get(portalRowNumber). You can create a field RecordNumber, unstored calc, get(RecordNumber). This will display correctly no matter where the record is. If it is in a portal, it will show portal row number.

I sometimes prefer to do this because of how I place fields in portals and how I size portals. It is easier to size the width of the portal if the portal is filled end to end with fields instead of @@ at one end.

• 3 months later...

@@ is the symbol for Record Number (see on FM top menu Insert and at the bottom a list of symbols). For instance, // produces the current date. You woudl use your text tool (as if you just wanted to type text) and type the @@ directly into the portal row (but not directly into any field.)

• 7 months later...

Okay. What if the portal is showing results from a join table? For example, you have an IPFs table (Never mind what an IPF is) and a Devices table. One IPF can have many devices and one device can be a part of many IPFs. How would you show the portal row numbers? Having the Get ( RecordNumber ) calculation in the join table doesn't help, because there are many unrelated entries.

• 5 weeks later...

It works fine showing an unstored calculation of the joint table in a portal, the calculation been Get ( RecordNumer ).

In you case, you have a multiple to multiple relation, then an intermediate table has to be created, in which you can set up the calc.

• 1 year later...

This topic is 4783 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.