Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ron G

Export records into existing .fp7 possible?

7 posts in this topic

After a *lot* of climbing of the learning curve, I got my Import function to work. (thank you 360Works for ScriptMaster selectFile() ).

I figured I could write a similar procedure to 'archive'/export individual database records. So, I copied my original database (Members.fp7) and created (MembersArchive.fp7).

In my Members::Export Script, I selected MembersArchive.

When I opened MembersArchive there was all the data, but the Layouts, scripts etc have ALL been deleted. huh? It seems like Export isn't the way to go. It seems like Export is geared to sending .fp7 into spreadsheets etc. But, there is an .fp7 'type'?

Would I be better off if I would just OPEN Members.Archive and run an import script.

Is importing the only way to get a found set or a single record into MembersArchive.fp7???

Thank you

Open the MembersArchive file and IMPORT the desired records from the Members table.

Thanks. That's what I thought. Good to have the confirmation. Thank you.

By the way, I need to import just the found set or just a single record (and it's related records). I didn't see any Import options that would apply these restrictions on the Source. Or, am I missing something?

thanks

You will want to run a script in the archive file that goes to the source file and establish the found set before import.

Or just open the source file. Perform your find, then from the archive file, run the import. Filemaker will import based on the found set.

What Ron said, but keep in mind that the source file must be open for this to happen. If it is closed, the target file will import all records of the source.

What Ron said, but keep in mind that the source file must be open for this to happen. If it is closed, the target file will import all records of the source.

Ah ha!. That must be why I have so much trouble importing a found set. Thanks for the tip.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By NewBoard
      I am designing a database for the inspection sheets used in our quality lab. Each of our parts has a different number of criteria that they need to be inspected for. This ranges anywhere from 5-15 dimensional requirements. I am wondering if there is anyway in FileMaker to display a varying number of both editable and uneditable fields. So for instance if somebody pulls an inspection sheet for a part with 6 different dimensional requirements, FileMaker will only show 6 uneditable fields describing the dimensions in question, and 6 editable fields for the user to type in their measurement. Then, if somebody pulls an inspection sheet with 10 dimensional requirements, it will display 10 instead.
      Thank you for any assistance you all can offer!
    • By Kevin Groder
      Hi,
      Has anyone else found that you are unable to export .fmp12 records from FM 16? I use this step in many scripts and the first machine I upgraded ( out of 48 ) I get the "unable to save file" error every time. FM 15 works, FM 16 fails on the same DB, same table, same record set. I can't even export manually.
      I made a screen movie here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOGcm4bt86o

• By Andreas T.
      I need some help in determining if I am missing something crucial here or if there is a limitation or bug in the function BE_ApplyXSLT from the BaseElements plugin. I am using version 3.3.4 (which is the latest) on Mac OS X 10.11.6 using FileMaker 15 Adv. and 16 Adv.
      I am unable to get any output from the transformation, nor any error.
      According to the documentation, the command shall return either 0 when successful or an error. Link
      In my testing it only returns blank, and gives no error even when no output file is generated. It should not return blank in cany case according to the docs. (I suspect there may be a documentation error and that it actually returns blank when there is no error.)
      No error is found using Get(LastError). BE_GetLastError returns 0.
      The function format is this:
      BE_ApplyXSLT ( xmlPath ; xslt ; outputPath ) Here are the input parameters I have used:
      BE_ApplyXSLT (      "/var/folders/y6/1yf76qcs5y91h_w4j27hxp980000gp/T/S10.2/ABC_nota_108.xml" ;      BE_ReadTextFromFile ( "/var/folders/y6/1yf76qcs5y91h_w4j27hxp980000gp/T/S10.2/HTMLvisning/Stylesheet_Full.xsl" );     "/var/folders/y6/1yf76qcs5y91h_w4j27hxp980000gp/T/S10.2/output.html" ) I have verified that the files exist and that both the XML and XSLT are valid. All files are in UTF-8. I can transform the XML with this XSLT using other
      methods without errors. I have also tried having the XSLT in a variable.
      As I understand it, BaseElements uses the libxml2 engine. I have tried doing the transform from the command line directly and it works as it should:
      xsltproc -o /var/folders/y6/1yf76qcs5y91h_w4j27hxp980000gp/T/S10.2/output.html /var/folders/y6/1yf76qcs5y91h_w4j27hxp980000gp/T/S10.2/HTMLvisning/Stylesheet_Full.xsl /var/folders/y6/1yf76qcs5y91h_w4j27hxp980000gp/T/S10.2/ABC_nota_108.xml It also works fine using the XMLLib OSAX in AppleScript. Unfortunately, I need Windows support also so I would like to get the BaseElements function to work.
      I hope somone can shed some light on what may be going on.
    • By 123
      Hey,
      I have a Tab-Separated Text File which I want to import to a database that I just created in FileMaker Pro 15. The text file essentially is a log of events, for instance, one line describes an order, another line describes a payment that has been made. The problem is that I somehow need to import all these lines into different tables. I want all lines in the log file that describe a payment in a table called Payments, and all lines that describe an order in a table called Orders for example.
      I'm just starting out with FileMaker so forgive me if there is an obvious solution that I'm not aware of. I have a background in software development, so the only solution that I can think of is writing a small program myself that does all the parsing for me and creates separate text files that contain all the orders and payments and other events that have been logged in the file. Then I could simply import each file into the table I need all the data in. 
      So to sum everything up, my main question is if there is a way to somehow parse the text file before importing it. I know that you can create custom scripts in FileMaker but I'm not sure if what I need to do can be done just with that.
      Thanks in advance,
      Mike
    • By liamob1
      Hi, 
      Got a real strange issue....
      My button bars look fine, slightly offset, but fine on the desktop version... But as soon as I look on FM Go, one of the text boxes just floats away? - I have tried moving it around and changing the size and i just get the same issue but with different buttons? 
      See images... 
      Thanks