Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ron G

Export records into existing .fp7 possible?

7 posts in this topic

After a *lot* of climbing of the learning curve, I got my Import function to work. (thank you 360Works for ScriptMaster selectFile() ).

I figured I could write a similar procedure to 'archive'/export individual database records. So, I copied my original database (Members.fp7) and created (MembersArchive.fp7).

In my Members::Export Script, I selected MembersArchive.

When I opened MembersArchive there was all the data, but the Layouts, scripts etc have ALL been deleted. huh? It seems like Export isn't the way to go. It seems like Export is geared to sending .fp7 into spreadsheets etc. But, there is an .fp7 'type'?

Would I be better off if I would just OPEN Members.Archive and run an import script.

Is importing the only way to get a found set or a single record into MembersArchive.fp7???

Thank you

Open the MembersArchive file and IMPORT the desired records from the Members table.

Thanks. That's what I thought. Good to have the confirmation. Thank you.

By the way, I need to import just the found set or just a single record (and it's related records). I didn't see any Import options that would apply these restrictions on the Source. Or, am I missing something?

thanks

You will want to run a script in the archive file that goes to the source file and establish the found set before import.

Or just open the source file. Perform your find, then from the archive file, run the import. Filemaker will import based on the found set.

What Ron said, but keep in mind that the source file must be open for this to happen. If it is closed, the target file will import all records of the source.

What Ron said, but keep in mind that the source file must be open for this to happen. If it is closed, the target file will import all records of the source.

Ah ha!. That must be why I have so much trouble importing a found set. Thanks for the tip.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By liamob1
      Hi, 
      Got a real strange issue....
      My button bars look fine, slightly offset, but fine on the desktop version... But as soon as I look on FM Go, one of the text boxes just floats away? - I have tried moving it around and changing the size and i just get the same issue but with different buttons? 
      See images... 
      Thanks

• By John Mark Osborne
      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

New FREE videos on Youtube

Chino Hills, Calif., February 1st, 2017 -- Well known FileMaker author John Mark Osborne has released two new free videos for FileMaker Pro 15 on his YouTube channel. The videos are created in FileMaker Pro 15 Advanced but can be used with FileMaker Pro or Advanced 12, 13 and 14 with the exception of a few exercises. The videos cover one advanced topic on Reminder Systems using the Install OnTimer Script step and one intermediate technique showing how to avoid window locking issues (not to be confused with record locking).

https://www.youtube.com/c/johnmarkosborne

John Mark Osborne has been working with FileMaker Pro for over two decades and has become one of the leading industry experts. John Mark is co-author of the wildly popular Scriptology book and CD ROM which has become the standard for FileMaker Pro developers. Recently, he received a prestigious award from FileMaker, Inc. for developing outstanding technical resources for his popular FileMaker Pro web site, Database Pros <www.databasepros.com>. John Mark is also a regular speaker and trainer at MacWorld Expos and the FileMaker Developer Conference. Database Pros works closely with FileMaker, Inc. as one of 50 Platinum level FBA (FileMaker Business Alliance) members and 1 of 16 trainers authorized to teach the FileMaker Training Series from FileMaker, Inc. John Mark is a certified FileMaker 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15 developer having passed all nine certification tests.

# # #

• By ggt667
      When exporting XML as fmxmlresult.xml when does FileMaker populate the content of the layout attribute?
      Usually it looks like
      <DATABASE DATEFORMAT="D/m/yyyy" LAYOUT="" NAME="Menu.fp7" RECORDS="51" TIMEFORMAT="k:mm:ss "/> Yet sometimes it looks like this
      <DATABASE DATEFORMAT="D/m/yyyy" LAYOUT="menu" NAME="Menu.fp7" RECORDS="51" TIMEFORMAT="k:mm:ss "/> Then again when querying the XML RPC it always look like this
      <datasource database="Menu.fp7" date-format="MM/dd/yyyy" layout="menu" table="Menu" time-format="HH:mm:ss" timestamp-format="MM/dd/yyyy HH:mm:ss" total-count="0" /> Asking the question myself, answering the question myself as well. Checking the following checkbox populates the LAYOUT-attribute of FMPXMLRESULT

• By R Torres
      I have Tableau 10 (64 bit) and FileMaker Pro Advance 15 (32 bit) . I am on a Window 7 platform, system type 64-bit.   
      I want to use my FileMaker database as a data source for Tableau. 
      Q1). Do I need to re-install FileMaker pro advance 64-bit version?
      Q2). So I'm thinking that I need to install the 64 bit ODBC drivers on my PC, right?
      Q3). the FileMaker website does not have the version 15 odbc drivers on the download page.  Do I used the version 14? 
      Any help will be appreciated.   

• By Laura Griffin Long
      I would like to see if anyone could help me to verify if the problem I am having is a bug in Filemaker.  I have recently upgraded my network from Filemaker 13 to 14.  In 13 I did not experience this issue.  It seems that in Filemaker 14, when a particular Hindi character is pasted into a Filemaker field it crashes the database.  I have tested this on numerous machines within my network with the same result.  I am hoping that someone will run this simple test for me and report back if it happened to them as well.  I just need someone to create a database, create one text field.  Create a new record and paste this Hindi character in that field.  Then do a find and place your cursor in that field. At this point the database should crash.  If anyone can confirm this I would love to know, thanks! 
      Hindi character: क्स्ड (I will also attach a text file with the Hindi character in case something messes up when I post this...)
      hinid_error.txt