Server Maintenance This Week. ×

time limitation on runtime

This topic is 3559 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi

I know when you create a runtime version of a database it disables save as PDF, however if you simply go to print and select save as PDF you can save it as a PDF. IS there a way to stop print mode in runtime. I wanted to send the file as a way for someone without filemaker pro to test it but not to have a full working version.

Also is it possible to limited the time someone can open a runtime file... e.g. it will open for 30 days only???

thanks

Sarah

Hi 

I am looking to try to add a time limit on a runtime database. I have found one piece of software from excel software that allows you set a time limit on the software then it stops working but it costs 995 of the core software then 495 for the filemaker pro plugin, I was wondering if anyone has other solutions to this, ir knows of something a lot lot cheaper then this. 

Thanks

sarah

I can't tell you exactly how to do it at the moment, but I believe you can roll your own solution. Perhaps something like recording a shipping date in a non-accessible field and checking the current date. If Get(CurrentDate)-Shipping Date> (whatever time period you wish);Exit Application. Syntax is not exact and I stand to be proven wrong . . .

I stand to be proven wrong . . .

Indeed you are - and not on a point of syntax, but on the principle. Security cannot be based upon a script having run successfully.

I am looking to try to add a time limit on a runtime database.

This has nothing to do with a runtime, and everything to do with accounts and privileges.

• Like 1

Hi comment.

Indeed the time limit does but not the no print option in runtime. I can of course work out the custom menu for the original file in FileMaker but not for runtime. That still seems to choose the standard runtime menus. I take it these cannot be altered??

Thanks

The answer is the same with regard to printing, too. Or anything else you don't want your users to be able to do. Make sure their privilege set does not allow them to do it. That, together with removing any full-access accounts from the file and preventing access to the file from unauthorized files (found under File Access in Manage Security) should provide adequate security (which is the most you can hope for anyway). Any other approach will not.

Hi sarah,

I merged your two topics as duplicate.

Please do not multiple post your questions.

If you need more information about this, please contact me by Private Mail.

Lee

This topic is 3559 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.