Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Gradients

LaRetta

This topic is 3229 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Well, I just want to complain a bit ...

Just when FileMaker FINALLY provided us the ability to create and use gorgeous gradients in our files ... gradients are considered old school and everyone is going to flat.  :bye:

It reminds me of when I was very young, everyone in school was wearing saddle oxfords so I worked all summer picking beans to save money and buy them.  The next school year, NOBODY was wearing them except me.  Geez.

FMI, please pick up the pace a bit so that you at least introduce new tools in the same decade as everyone else.  :tongue2:

Edited by LaRetta

lol...Amen.

I have seen a lot of design that, while "flat" by definition, still incorporates very subtle gradients. So I think they still have life!!

I hear ya.

For a long time i have seen many FileMaker interfaces that attempt to mirror the OS of the platform (mac or windows) or the other design pattern is iTunes - or even a browser - the and typically they fall in to an Uncanny Valley and become out dated very quickly I still see sample field that have "aqua" style interfaces.

I have been guilty of this myself. - Tried very hard to emulate the OS 8 look and then 9, and 10 at the time the tools with in FMP were just not capable of capturing the needed subtleties - so I spent too much time using photoshop, to make buttons or layout backgrounds. Spent lots on CD packs of "interface styles" usually just PDS templates. Good of eye candy but not optimal for speed. 

SCHED.thumb.gif.bd15d9593248751d1da29034

Hi Josh,

Thank you.  I suppose it is okay to use gradients but keeping in mind that they can be expensive particularly if used WAN.  I saw a pretty header of mine (in 13) bring a solution to a crawl when loading the layout in a test.  As is most things in life, I guess moderation is advisable.

Hi Stephen,

I am not great at images and graphics (yet) and I too spent wasted lots of time on it and never succeeded.  When we got gradients, I was so pumped, I spent WEEKS just playing with various things and then ... anyway ... you know the rest of THAT story.  Thanks for the link - uncanny valley - LOL!

And hey, I'm so pumped about placeholders, button bars and svg that I'm not really complaining.  It's just sad to see such a great eye-candy tool now be under-utilized.

snip... files that have "aqua" style interfaces.

LOL, I ran across an old file of mine the other day that I used the aqua style. This was probably in OS X (Panther days). Sure glad that phase is behind us. 

LaRetta - since gradients are css based there really shouldn't be any noticeable performance issues with gradients, as it is not a graphic just text instruction for the client to draw.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.