EasySync taking longer and longer

This topic is 2907 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I use EasySync for several different clients, all with nearly identical solutions hosted on FMS14. For one client, EasySync is taking longer and longer to sync, and I'm having trouble pinpointing the problem. 

When I first setup the mobile database and did the initial sync, it took 1-2 minutes. But now, it is taking at least 15min on the first sync, second sync (done immediately after the first) will take 30min+, and 3rd is an hour, and 4th is two hours. All of these sync's were done back to back at night when there is quite literally NO data changes happening on the mobile or server. 

Any ideas on what I should be looking for?

Thanks,

Ryan

Are you adding a lot of records?

The way easy sync handles pulled deletions, using sync check, is not scalable. It uses nested loops to compare all(by default) server records to all client records.

If so, you can modify the server sync check sql statement to only find records the client needs. The goal would be to keep the client record count static. Ask questions like "does each client need the records the other clients add?" And, "does the client need records it added yesterday/last week?"

Also the linked improvement will provide some relief.

In the situation that I'm describing, literally no records changed on either end between sync 1 and sync 2. I currently use the ES_Exclude flag to not bring down the relevant data, are you saying I should do more?

Thanks,

Ryan

Hey Ryan, I didn't read your comment closely enough, I'll have to think more about this one. Have you tried modifying the scripts to save (rather than delete) the payload data for later examination? That would show if any records are being pushed/pulled. Are there any auto-enter calculations that the sync could be causing to fire? Shooting in the dark here.

J

• 2 weeks later...

I have not modified the scripts at all. This is only happening with one customer, (I have EasySync at about 4 sites now), so I'm going to back it out and rebuild my mobile file, and then have that site roll it out to one person at a time and monitor for a week or so in between. One thing I am noticing is that a LOT of records are getting updated UTC times that shouldn't. I have a table that almost never changes, but I'm guessing because of the way the relationships work, FileMaker is all to happy to update its UTC modify times. And my current theory is that the clock is wrong on one of the clients causing every device to think that all records need to be updated every sync

That's a theory. It is kind of scary to think about how fragile all this is.

This topic is 2907 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.