Server Maintenance This Week. ×

install plugins

This topic is 2489 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

FM 12 Adv, Win 1. I down loaded a plug in but don't know what to do with it. I tried storing it in the Filemaker Extensions folder, but it does not show up in Plug in management. How do I install it and where do I store it? Will the plug in be available in all solutions or only in one file? Does it need activation?

Edited by john9210

The best way to install plugins is to use the "install plugin file" script step.  Just create a new file for it, add the container field and a script to install it.  That makes it really portable.

http://www.filemaker.com/help/13/fmp/en/html/scripts_ref2.37.66.html#1076200

It also allows you to trap for errors.  The script step will put the plugin where it belongs automatically.  And the benefit is that you can use the same file to have it installed on FMS through server-side schedule, and in WebDirect.

Once installed, a plugin is available in all files that you open with your copy of FMP.  Doesn't mean that it will be available for anyone else unless you also install the plugin there.

Many plugins have license-checking mechanism and activation mechanisms.  Check the help section of the plugin vendor's web site.

Also: since FM12 is really old by now; if you have just downloaded the plugin you may have a plugin that is not compatible with the old version of FM.  Again, check the plugin vendor web site.

I still can't get Plug-in to work. I'm trying to install BaseElements.fmx64. I created a file with container field. I inserted the plugin into the container field and wrote a single line script to install it. However, I get the error "baselements.fmx64 could not be installed". Also, it is not listed in the permissions/plugin window.

Is your Windows 32-bit?  Then you need the 32-bit version of the plugin.  If you need to make the install routine safe for multiple scenarios, there is a Get() function in FM that will help you determine whether the OS is 32 or 64 bit and branch to install the correct version of the plugin.

This topic is 2489 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.