File could not be created on this disk

This topic is 1960 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

On laptop running FMP Pro 16 Advanced these two script statements result in List.xlsx saved in directory FMPstoredfiles

Set Variable [$SavePath; Value "FMPstoredfiles/" & “List” & ".xlsx"]

Export Records [with dialog:off;"$SavePath"; Unicode (UTF-16)]

On client laptop running FMP Pro 16 the same statements result is “List.xlsx could not be created on this disk” The FMPstoredfiles directory is there, not full, and not locked.

Using the file menu Export Records will save List.xlsx in the FMPstoredfiles directory. Both laptops run Windows 10. The only difference is Advanced vs plain FMP. I have run out of troubleshooting ideas. An Internet search found one person who thought the problem was font settings on their client PC, but they were saving a pdf file.

Any ideas on how to make this work on the client laptop? I have access to it.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I initially used Get(path) to find the folder that the solution file was in and then added the FMPstoredfiles folder and file name. This resulted in the same error message. The FMPstoredfiles folder is a subfolder in the folder containing the solution file. The relative path should work and does work on my development laptop with FM Advanced. The exact same script doesn't work on another laptop with plain FM, not Advanced.

I just tried the $SavePath = "filewin:/C:/list.xslx" and $SavePath = "C:/List.xsls". Both get the “List.xlsx could not be created on this disk”  error. 

It seems that the Export script step won't save the file no matter how simple the path is, yet the manual export using the menu will. At this point, I don't have any alternative other than message the client to use the menu steps to save the results. This makes me and FM scripting look brain-dead to the client.

Topic was a little hard to follow, but in the end I did this:

Set Variable [$FileName; value:List.xslx"]

Set Variable [$Path; value:"filewin:" & get(DeskTopPath) & $FileName

used $Path in export . $Path was Filewin:/C:/Users/VAC Membership/Desktop/List.xlsx

Got file "file could not be created...." error

Then used Menu and Export Records to successfully save records on Desk Top appearing as an icon.

Two things are frustrating; not being able to copy and paste script steps outside of FM, and feeling like I am hopelessly the only person in the world with this problem, but thank you for helping. When I tried $SavePath = "filewin:/C:/list.xslx" it seemed that I couldn't get more simple than that. Is there any information about the meaning of the "file could not be created..." error message? Is FM responding to a Windows error, or is it a FM error? Doing what the message says doesn't fix the problem.

20 minutes ago, cooper1967 said:

Is there any information about the meaning of the "file could not be created..." error message?

AFAIK, it can mean one of three things:

1. the path is invalid;
  2. you don't have write permissions in the selected folder;
  3. the disk is full.

Edited by comment

Hi Jim,

Are you sure that the other laptop has the folder name FMPstoredfiles exact?  Can you make sure there is not a space after the text?  Because if you do, you will get that message (in versions prior to 17) because, as Comment points out, the path is invalid (including the folder name).

Also check the script which creates the folder name (if you have one).  If your script creates a folder name improperly then scripts writing to it properly would fail as well.  With version 17, we now have an option in Export Records[] which allows us to create the directory if it doesn't exist.

As last resort, it would be helpful if you provided the exact script (or at least screen captured the section on the export).  We'll help you figure it out; hang in there. 😃

Updated: There is no difference between FMPro and FMPro Advanced when it comes to that and in fact, version 17 simply includes a checkbox in FileMaker > Preferences > General tab so the Developer can specify whether to allow the User to have advanced tools.

Edited by LaRetta
Clarification on FMPro versus Pro Advanced

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the code.

code2.jpg.da20cc4aa9de70c2bccdbd8b53da3d76.jpg

This $SavePath works when used in the Export. The $ListName is saved in the solution's folder.

All attempts to add a subfolder to the solution folder and save to it have failed. I give up and will instruct the client to find the result file in the solution's folder.

Edited by cooper1967

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jim,

I had not received an email of your response!  Again, the error is probably in the path name.  Please paste the exact result string of $SavePath here.  Get ( FileName ) might be your problem but we need to see the resulting string.

This topic is 1960 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.