Copy SuperContainer images to another record

This topic is 1837 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am wondering if anyone has advice or know of a way to safely copy SuperContainer images from one record to another. We used to scan images on one associated record but now our boss would like to scan images to all of the associated records. 

For example I scan someone's driver's license to record 1 and then I need that same scanned image on record 2-10. Is there a way to loop through and save the image under all of the records so that they do not have to be uploaded individually on all 10 records?

Right now we are on Filemaker 17 and FileMaker server 17.

Mac OS = Mojove

Our images are stored on an external server.

The address in which the images are stored is a calculation in which it uses the primary key of the record for storage. So if I just copy the address from one record to the other, it changes the pk to the record it is on obviously breaking the connection to where it is stored. I also do not like this way for the simple fact that say they stored a receipt that only should be on one particular record and accidentally carried it over to another record, if they delete or save over that particular record, I only want it deleted on the wrong record and still remain on the correct one. This is why I am looking for a way to copy images from one record to the other.

Can anyone help or have any ideas? Our establishment relies a lot on scanning and it is just killing their time management....

Each attachment has its Primary key associated with the path for the image - if you want the image to be duplicated to each record you could store it in a global and then on each record upload the image on that record.

Or you would need to move up one level to a parent record that groups records 2-10 which need the same shared resource (scanned image) and upload from that context.

Yeah... I'm kind of lost. I apologize but we had a contractor originally build the scanned images part. Right now they are dragging and dropping an image into a container field to save it and after they have saved like 10 images, they want to copy all 10 to 10 other records. Once it is saved through the container field, I am not sure how to save it to a global. What I mean is what is the actual SuperContainer code to get an image already stored on our external server to store the same image in the other area... My hopes is to create a way for them to scan everything they need, have a checkbox that they can select on all the images they want to copy to another record and then maybe have another area where they might want to choose all the cases they want to scan it to. For example, they may only want to scan it to cases that are still open.

Hi Traci,

What I mean is what is the actual SuperContainer code to get an image already stored on our external server to store the same image in the other area... 

The Companion plugin has a function called SCCopy that will copy files from one location on SuperContainer to another. However, if the destination location does not exist then the function will throw an error so I do not know if that will work for your use case. Other than that, there is no explicit "SuperContainer code" to do this. OceanWest's recommendation is how I would approach this. 

• Like 1

I tried the SCCopy and I cannot seem to get it to work. 

I have:

set field [plugincall; SCCopy( http:.../the path all the way to the name of the scanned image; the physical path since it will not accept the http; the file name)

Can you tell me if I'm doing anything wrong? It is not throwing an error when I run this but it is not copying anything either. The file does exist where I'm trying to copy to.

Last question, Is there a way to create the file it needs to scan? All I have ever been familiar with is dragging and dropping the image into a web viewer and it created the image. Is there a way to create a folder on the supercontainer server without the web viewer? Thanks!

In the past when I have created directories to the server is to include that in the base path

typically to help manage resources ( future size restrictions ) i would typically create a folder structure like: YYYY/MM/UUID_of_file/ this way when ever you create a record the record knows the date it was created if you have a field set for creation date, then when you upload it will create the directory automatically. 

Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 1.51.06 PM.png

I have all of that information worked out. What I meant is how do I create a physical file on the external hard drive attached to our Filemaker server. The SCCopy will not work unless the physical directory exists (\volumes\etc\). I physically added the directory for testing and the SCCopy works. I just need to actually add the physical folder in where this data is being saved. Thanks!

This topic is 1837 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.