Sign in to follow this  
1FilemakerMan

How to remove comma if there is no phone number???

I have been assigned a job to update/fix some problems with a FM Database that was created years ago by someone else.  I have it all setup, except for one, simple problem.

In the layout, it is set to show a person's name, address, zip, state city and phone number.  The problem is that not everyone has a phone number listed.  So if they don't have a phone number, the sentence will end like this "Stephens, ."  If they do have a phone number it is, "Stephens, 544-545-5444".   Is there a way to remove the comma if they do not have a phone number listed???

Below is an exact copy of that data they have typed in.  They pull that data out of the database and then the piece of paper gets printed off.  The "," after the <<i_name>> is what is causing the problem (yes I enlarged it).

<<i_name>>, <<i_pobox>> <<i_city>>, <<i_state>>  <<i_zip>> OR DELIVER IN PERSON TO   <<i_name>>,  <<i_phone>>.

Create a calculated field that is i_deliverTo =     

LastName & Case (Not isEmpty( Trim ( Phone ) ) ; ", " & Trim (Phone) ; "" )

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By GarrettC
      I am working in Filemaker Pro Advanced 8 on a Mac OSX 10.6.8.

The database is fairly straight forward: it is tracking the total number of comments (all types) and the sub total of online comments at a federal website on a new TSA regulation.

4 Data Fields: Month, Day, Total Comments and Online Comments (a subtotal)

Records are sorted by concatenating the numbers in a calculation field with the month and day fields.

This data is exported to a tab separated file and imported into Adobe Illustrator to make pretty charts.

All is well, so far...

Recently, we have found that there is something suspicious about the numbers supplied on the federal site, mainly that the subtotal daily increase exceeds the total comment increase.

To show this clearly and chart it out, I created 2 calculation fields plus functions, to find the difference between the current day and the previous day.

Comment Total - GetNthRecord(Comment Total;Get(RecordNumber)- 1)

and

Comment Short - GetNthRecord(Comment Short;Get(RecordNumber)- 1)

They work beautifully except for one problem: some of the day's samplings are missing. The outcome is that the calculation subtracts the current number from an empty field in the previous day, creating a large negative and inaccurate number.

What I would like to do is have the calculation skip an empty field and find the next, previous day field that is not empty and use it for the calculation.

I am not quite sure how to approach this problem. Thank you for any guidance.
  • Who Viewed the Topic

3 members have viewed this topic:
    cymainformatica  rmm  yliqueur 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.