Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How to Duplicate Table With Records in FM

This topic is 1705 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Guys,

I new in FM, and i trying to create a application that i need 2 tables with same records to make a look up search.

However i not getting duplicate my table, once i duplicate it my table is Pasted only with fields but without records.

How can i duplicate mu table with records?

I Tried export and import also, without success.

There are any script, or method to duplicate table records?

Thank you guys.

1 hour ago, Caio Euzébio said:

i need 2 tables with same records to make a look up search

I am not sure what "a look up search" means. I don't think you need two tables with same records for anything

Edited by comment

Hi Caio, 

I agree with Comment.  It is _very_ unusual to duplicate a table's records.  Instead, why don't you simply duplicate the table occurrence?  Select the table occurrence of the table you want from within the graph then click lower left the ++.  

With this duplicate table occurrence, you can place it elsewhere, such as connected to another table, and use the same records  - no need to duplicate records at all!  If you duplicate the records, such as using import into a new table, you run the risk that the records will never be up to date.

If you explain why you feel you must duplicate the table, or explain what 'a look up search' means, as requested by Comment, then we could help you with a better method.  Just an idea!  And welcome to FMforums! 😀

Edited by LaRetta
Corrected 'right' to 'left' hahah!
  • Like 1

Hi LeRetta,

I need that User request 10 different itens in the same screen.

And all these fields need to have you own table and relations for not get informations of previously or next one.

And all these fields will need to be take for a script and populate a database table of requests history.

If i have only one table with informations about product, is i create 10 different Edit Box in the same screen, all box will get the same informations, for this reason i need 10 different tables.

It is difficult to understand your explanation without knowing what these things represent in real life. Offhand, it seems you need a structure similar to an invoicing solution. This would have 3 tables: Requests, Products and a join table of RequestProducts (for lack of a better name) connecting the two:

image.png.0f5d67fb991beda0d817b6d15ab4d2a8.png

A user making a request would start by creating a new record in Requests, then use a portal to the RequestProducts table to create a record for each product included in the request. This allows a request to include any number of products - and no data needs to be duplicated.

Yes, that's exactly what a portal would accomplish.

Note that once you have selected the products to include in the request, you can print/view the request using a layout of the join table in list view, with the request's data placed in summary parts.

• 1 month later...
  • Newbies
On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 1:31 PM, LaRetta said:

Hi Caio, 

I agree with Comment.  It is _very_ unusual to duplicate a table's records.  Instead, why don't you simply duplicate the table occurrence?  Select the table occurrence of the table you want from within the graph then click lower left the ++.  

With this duplicate table occurrence, you can place it elsewhere, such as connected to another table, and use the same records  - no need to duplicate records at all!  If you duplicate the records, such as using import into a new table, you run the risk that the records will never be up to date.

If you explain why you feel you must duplicate the table, or explain what 'a look up search' means, as requested by Comment, then we could help you with a better method.  Just an idea!  And welcome to FMforums! 😀

I found this comment valuable to me. I needed another association table to look up a persons e-mail address directly instead of hard coding it. this worked flawlessly.  Thanks.

This topic is 1705 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.