Server Maintenance This Week. ×

I have built CI tools in FileMaker for generating config files for services such as postgres, nginx, apache, and others

This topic is 1661 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have built CI tools in FileMaker for generating config files for services such as postgres, nginx, apache, and others. It all looks good, however the output is UTF-16 with some odd line breaks, Windows-like?

$ exa -T sites-available
sites-available
├── api.domain.tld
├── document.domain.tld
├── filemaker.domain.tld
├── graphql.domain.tld
├── rest.domain.tld
├── soap.domain.tld
├── webrtc.domain.tld
├── www.domain.tld
└── www2.domain.tld

Is there a way to set the settings for these export field contents as UTF-8 with regular unix line breaks? Even though this is written to a local folder on a workstation git handles the transfer to the server itself. Right now I have to do on a Mac or in unix/linux quite simply( published the one liner on gist: https://gist.github.com/TyrfingMjolnir/17e5f7de32ba6b36964622a2d0e1392b 😞

iconv -f UTF-16 -t UTF-8 sites-available/api.domain.tld | tr "\r" "\n"

however for Windows not necessarily that easily

before I do

git push

Edited by ggt667

9 minutes ago, ggt667 said:

Is there a way to set the settings for these export field contents as UTF-8 with regular unix line breaks?

Starting from version 16, you can control the encoding and the line endings of the exported file using the method described here:

You mention some workaround inside FileMaker? Similar to this one: https://filemakerhacks.com/2017/05/09/export-field-contents-update-for-fm-16/ Poor Beverly, That's not a fix, it's an insult to people's intelligence.

From what you write I assume there is no way to set the line breaks and encoding of the Export Field Contents?

Edited by ggt667

https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/help/18/fmp/en/#page/FMP_Help%2Ftextencode.html

As @comment indicates, we've had these functions since FM16.  Not a workaround, pure native functions.

If you were expecting to apply the encoding and line-endings as options on the export field contents dialog itself, then no. That's not how it works.

25 minutes ago, Wim Decorte said:

https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/help/18/fmp/en/#page/FMP_Help%2Ftextencode.html

As @comment indicates, we've had these functions since FM16.  Not a workaround, pure native functions.

If you were expecting to apply the encoding and line-endings as options on the export field contents dialog itself, then no. That's not how it works.

Thanks, then "AppleScript DoShellScript()" it is

If I should ever run the solution on Windows, I may look into the way you describe.

Edited by ggt667

As that's the way it's already implemented, doing the reformatting in FileMaker does not really do it better; or worse.

In which case would one ever benefit from using \r as line break and UCS-16 or UTF-16 as encoding? It makes regular text double the size.

In my case I have just below 200 nginx vhost files, there is about 20 of them pr solution and development, testing and production for each.

Edited by ggt667

I gave this( https://filemakerhacks.com/2017/05/09/export-field-contents-update-for-fm-16/ ) a shot.

Set Field[
  myTable::ExportFldContainer; TextEncode(
    GetLayoutObjectAttribute( "SomeMergeFieldObject", "content"
                            ); "utf-8"; 3 ) ]

The value of `myTable::ExportFldContainer` is "utf-8"

Also the following yields the same proceeds

Set Field[
  myTable::LayoutObjectContent; GetLayoutObjectAttribute(
    "SomeMergeFieldObject", "content" ) ]
Set Field[
  myTable::Output; TextEncode( myTable::LayoutObjectContent; "utf-8"; 3 ) ]

Edited by ggt667

1 hour ago, ggt667 said:

The value of `myTable::ExportFldContainer` is "utf-8"

If you have done what you describe, and the field myTable::ExportFldContainer is indeed a container field, then it will contain a file named "utf-8.txt". This file will be UTF-8 encoded and contain the content of the merged text object, with LF line endings.

--
As a side note, I am not sure why you would want to go to through the layout and export a merged field instead of remaining at the data level and export the field itself. 

This topic is 1661 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.