White background behind dialog

Hi all

I have a customer list in a drop down. The drop down field has an On Save script trigger which then performs a find in the same layout for the selected customer. The drop down field is configured to 'go to next object using' return.

There is also an On Record Load trigger on the layout which pops up with a dialog if the customer's Attention field is populated.

This all works fine unless I utilise the option to save the drop down field with the enter button. It ends up looking like this, with the white background. Once the user clicks OK the layout 'appears'.

image.png.f317eaf03bfbc6034ea8be14f9929353.png

Thanks!

We would probably have to see the whole script sequence and see where "Freeze window" is being used, what layout switches are going on etc.

My first reaction though: too many triggers.  Sounds like a workflow that can entirely be handled with regular scripts and card window instead of a value list.  It'll give you infinitely more control and fewer disconnected event handlers that need to all feed off each other.

• 2 weeks later...

Very odd, it only happens with custom menu sets, even ones with the bare minimum elements and no keyboard shortcuts. If I use the standard one it doesn't.

The issue doesn't occur at all when I load the database locally, regardless of the menu set.

Edited by sal88
  • 4 weeks later...

I've attached a simplified version of this scenario.

There is now only one script trigger which is triggered when selecting from the drop down. It happens on the local version (not sure about hosted). The white background appears only when a custom menu is in place.

Thanks

white background.fmp12

Same behaviour on my usual PC but not my other. But then I've just tried my original file on my other PC and the issue doesn't occur! I can't work out the difference between the two.

Did you experience the issue yourself?

Thanks

Edited by sal88

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By quattleb
      I am a foster volunteer for a kitten and cat rescue. Each foster has daily medical and health items we preform for our little wards.
      Years ago I created a simple Foster Tracking database in Filemaker 16 and now use FM 17 on Mac OS Catalina 10.15.x
      Many of these chores repeat at a regular interval so so my Foster Tracking has charts that when given a start date propagates repeating fields with the next occurrence.
      Typically foster arrive in litters of 3, 4, 5 or more kittens and all have a naming theme. I've used "Companions of Doctor Who" and "Gins of the UK" for example. This is stored in a "Name Theme" field and displayed at the top of each kitten/cat record.
      Each time I weigh or give a de-worming or flea medication to a foster group I open the FM db, do a search for the group (e.g. "Gins") in the "Name Theme" field and then I have the medical charts for that group to mark my progress.
      The complication is I often have 3 different litters in three different areas of my home. 
      What I want to do is to have 3 Global Fields - which store the 3 "Name Theme"s I am fostering at a given moment.
      Find_1 "Gins"
      Find_2 "Companions"
      Find_3 "Marx Brothers"
      -----
      Then I want to place these global fields on the main layout that my db opens to. I would define each Field Label to be a Button and have each button search for the appropriate Find_x content in the "Name Theme" field.
      -----
      I cannot figure out how to capture the value of the "Find_x" Global field and insert the value into the "Name Theme" to then Find.
      Nor do I see in the Find function a way to specify that the value comes from the Find_x field but the search itself involve this value in the "Name Theme" field.
      ----
      I feel there must be some simple scriptable way maybe involving an additional layout and a calculation but the how to escapes me.
      I would be very grateful for any help.
      thank you
      Bill qb Quattlebaum
    • By Matt Navarre
      Announcing fmSearchResults 5. This latest download delivers new features with simple implementation. And it's free!
      fmSearchResults 5 adds fast, multi-table searching to your FileMaker solutions by importing a few scripts and pasting a simple search field on to your layouts. It feels like the type of Google search that all your users are already familiar with, and it’s far more powerful than FileMaker’s Quickfind feature, because it searches across multiple tables and has data-type awareness.
      Read more about the new features and download it now!
      Implementation is so simple, watch me do it 5 minutes (and 12 seconds).
    • By brokenmouse
      I have a database that we use to update our website inventory. A few years ago we began offering customized merchandise that gets dropshipped direct from suppliers.  Suppliers give us data feed files with their inventory levels, pricing, etc. and this file manipulates the data. It takes our current web database, compares values and exports those products with their updated values.
      Importing the data and exporting used to take less than hour but now it takes several since the size of the web database has grown and the number of suppliers has grown.  Everything is automated through scripts. In the main table (web database), the proposed quantities, pricing, leadtime, variations, etc. all use unstored calculated fields to determine the new value. I then have a separate field which is used to flag items that need updating. The major bottleneck of the entire process is the searching of this field. It can take sometimes over an hour to search this field. Other steps like exporting the changes can take a while, too.
      I have done some things to optimize the database but it still seems that these unstored calc fields are what is dragging everything down. I have tried replacing some of those calc fields with text/num fields with "replace field contents" script steps (or auto entry) but it does not seem to make a difference because of the indexing.  The database is not hosted or shared and my computer has decent specs with an SSD HD. I've got a simplified design chart attached for reference.
      I am not sure that this is what comes with a large complex database file or if my design is flawed. The only two things I can think to try to reduce the processing time is:
      1) Rewrite the scripts to update the supplier/inventory table records instead of replacing the records fresh each time.
      2) Use a looped set field script to set the "change flag" field and/or the other updated price/qty/etc fields

Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated.

• By evance
      Hi there,
      at first I was struggling to find some data which I knew was present and couldn't figure out why...
      Data in text field (real example):
      A 0111 B0111 B0116 TZ0113 [...] Search string (quotes not part of search):
      "0111" finds "A 0111" but not "B0111" etc.
      But I figured out how to adjust my search so FileMaker will pick up these records accordingly by wrapping it in stars like *TERM* so it performs partial matching:
      "*0111*" finds "A 0111" and "B0111"
      Now my question is: How can make this the standard search mode / feature without extensively writing scripts for every layout?
      I am working with a search layout which includes a lot of fields and I would like to just be able to set "partial search" as default for selected fields or – if that's not possible – for all fields on the search layout, knowing that this can be achieved by using a search script which wraps every input in "*" but that seems kind of over the top.
      Thanks for your input!
    • By JMart
      Hi gurus,
      I am sure I’m missing something simple, but for the life of me I can’t figure this out. I have a database with tickets. What I want is when a new ticket is created I want to see a popover (see attached) then I want the user to type in the top box and as they type I want to filter the list below (a portal) and once they client is shown they would select it and a ticker is created for the client. I sound a script and modified to fit my needs but can’t get it to work. Can someone stretch a helping hand?
      BTW the filtering is working but its not reflecting in the popover its reflecting on the layout.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.