Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Login as FMSERVER, I can't

This topic is 1442 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I want to login onto my mac mini as fmserver. In order to do this I went and tried to create an account called fmserver.

I've got the following error message "Name is used by another user"

I've managed to mount my NAS in the backend. To access the NAS mounted volumes I need to log as fmserver.

Does anyone has an idea of what are my options?

Thanks! 

Edited by DPaquin

the username fmserver was created by default when you installed FMS.

What are you doing with a NAS and FMS? the live files cannot live on a NAS - only thing would be to move backups of backups to the NAS

Thanks for your quick reply!

My NAS volumes are being mounted each time the computer is being re-started.

I do not have to log onto any account, via auto_master and auto_smb NAS volumes are being mounted and can be used by filemaker server.

I intend to use scriptmaster functiona to copy files via Perform Script on Server (PSoS). 

You've had many answers in various threads on community.filemaker.com and on FMsoup.  Take the thing outside of FM and use the OS to move the files after you export them.  I would stay away from plugins for any of this.  And as mentioned a few times: spend the time on something with an API and you'll have a solution that is much more robust and future-proof.

Edited by Wim Decorte

You've had many answers in various threads on community.filemaker.com and on FMsoup.  Take the thing outside of FM and use the OS to move the files after you export them.

I am very pleased in all of the answers, I have been getting so far. This has been helping me moving quite far. 

would stay away from plugins for any of this.  And as mentioned a few times: spend the time on something with an API and you'll have a solution that is much more robust and future-proof.

The application I've been using, modifying, improving has been constructed using in it's entirety filemaker pro. I've started using filemaker pro v10, then moved to v12 and then v16. Moving files from a internal drives, SD cards, NAS mounted volumes has been accomplished using scriptmaster 360work plugins.

Since, it has been for more than 7 years that I've been using scriptmastrer and it has been robust since then.

I am now getting more video files to manage, which are bigger in size. It has been working without any problems. The only caveat I have is the time it takes to move/copy files. Where in the past it was taking 3 minutes to move/copy files it's now taking 8 minutes.

Spending time with developing an API means re-looking, redesigning a major part of my process.

Unless I am wrong:

• Filemaker pro supports, and highly recommend the uses  "Perform Script on Server";
  • Scriptmaster, is highly recommend by filemaker, and also works within a filemaker server environment;
  • Correct handling of error codes allows the building of a robust system.

I finally managed scripmaster plugins to work in a PSoS. Thanks to everybody on FM forums whom has been helping me out. It's now working.

My last issue was to enable the mount of a NAS in the backend. This mean I turn on my server, filemaker server becomes available right away along with the NAS mounted volumes. This is now handle by using /etc/auto_master and auto_smb bash code.

The next step, the one I am doing at the moment is to ensure, fmserver can see the NAS volumes mounted in the backend. Once done, I will modify the filemaker script used to work on a filemaker client to run on the server.

I can only say that I am grateful to all of those who have been helping me. !

23 minutes ago, DPaquin said:
  • Filemaker pro supports, and highly recommend the uses  "Perform Script on Server";
  • Scriptmaster, is highly recommend by filemaker, and also works within a filemaker server environment;

Supported: yes.

Highly recommended by FM?  No; on both.

PSoS is just a tool, it shouldn't be an automatic design choice.  Relying heavily on the server-side script engine means the deployment needs to be completely thought through; the server becomes more of a an application server in this case.  Very often we see that developers don't do this and just assume that things will work smoothly.

Especially with plugins.  Plugins are the #1 reason for FMS script engine failures.

Plugins are not going away anytime soon but one could interpret the writing on the wall: they are not supported in FM Cloud, they don't work in FM Go and more and more their functionality can be done just as easily through APIs and by in-product JavaScript.

I personally wouldn't build an interaction between systems these days without exhausting all possible API venues.  In technology it doesn't pay to look backwards and keep doing the things like we did 10 years ago.

The good news is that API integrations are a lot easier to get into than you may imagine.  Once you've done your first one you'll probably think "how could I ever have done it differently".

This topic is 1442 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.