This topic is 1379 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I have a customer who has a storage facility.  He has a layout called "Site" ( attached ) it is a single record table.  On the layout the customer laid in 132 fields ( each field representing a unit number that he's entered in the unit number ) on the layout.  Similar site maps that provides a bird eye view of facilities.

What he would like is when a unit is rented in the "Units" table, he would like to see some kind of action on this single record "Site" table.

The only way I see this is to build a relationship from this "Site" table to his "Units" table so ...

Site::Units_Field_1 to Units::Unit_Number

Site::Units_Field_2 to Units::Unit_Number

Site::Units_Field_3 to Units::Unit_Number

... 129 more relationship.

Is there a better way ??

Thank you.

Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 10.53.36 AM.png

Ocean West,

I read somewhere that FileMaker was to phase out repeating fields.  If true or not true JavaScript looks to be the better way.

As with JavaScript I am tying to learn by using existing solutions but I am not able to understand due to the complexity of the developers mind ... and reading the JavaScript Doc does nothing from.

Is there any JavaScript / FileMaker Tutorial that actually start from nothing ... step by step for this example or a similar example.

I'm sure a season FileMaker/JavaScript guy could figure it out but it just take me a lot of time to make connection in my mind no matter how simple.  But once the simple stuff connects I'm good to go.

Any links that could help me build this in a JavaScript / Web-viewer.

I would be grateful.

Thank you.

Repeating fields is not on the deprecation list but the general developer guidance or stance is to not use repeating fields for solution data.

However it does work wonders for interface elements.

Check out https://carafe.fm 

One thing to mention in fm 19 the interaction between JS and FM is much more integrated no longer require url schema to run a script in FileMaker. 

1 hour ago, "... you mean these fans?" said:

What he would like is when a unit is rented in the "Units" table, he would like to see some kind of action on this single record "Site" table.

Can you be more specific about that? What does it mean that "a unit is rented"? How does one determine that? And what exactly is "some kind of action"?

1 hour ago, "... you mean these fans?" said:

Is there a better way ??

It looks like all they want is a simple grid of 19(?) * 7. The easiest way to build it would probably be to place 7 portals side-by-side, filter them so each shows only units in the series of 1, 8, 15... 2, 9, 16... and so on, and then make them show "some kind of action" (whatever that means) when the corresponding unit is rented (whatever that means). For this, you only need a single relationship using the x relational operator.

Looks to me like the client set this up wrongly. Each site should be a record then information directly pertaining to the record can simply be fields in that table. I believe the structure will be simpler after doing that.

Comment,

Sorry for the delayed response but I did provide to the customer a list of his unit many years ago were I provided conditional formatting for each day on each list record and the customer could see in a list format each unit, each day with a color. Green then Orange and then Red if they didn't pay their invoice; customer loves it.

He just now would like to action is site map, again a one record table with a layout of his site where he drew using rounded rectangle objects all is rental storage units.  132 total.

I've looked at Carafe.FM and I'm going to learn the concepts there since I need to learn the JavaScript stuff anyway.

Thank you.

This topic is 1379 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.