How does FM's new licensing work?

This topic is 606 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi! I'm upgrading a client's FM13 setup to FM19 and am trying to figure out what kind of licensing to use. Any help would be greatly appreciated-- it's so confusing now! :D

Current Setup:

Server, 6 desktops, 6 iPads
Each desktop will be logged in using the same account (register) and the iPads will be logged in with the same account (iPad). There will be a 3rd user, designer, and that is pretty much it.

I understand that the minimum server license is 5 users.  Will this work for FM 19? Can I have the same user logged into multiple machines?

Future Setup if client decides to do this:

Same thing as above, except customers may log into the server externally via web direct to access their customer account to make updates, schedule appointments, etc. In this scenario, I'm imagining maybe 10 concurrent web direct users.

So, 5 users + 10 concurrent. My concern is that concurrent licenses are really expensive. I got a 5 concurrent user quote for $2,600! 

Any clarifications and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Six users is $1080 if you provide your own on premises server or host with a your own hosting provider. The same user can login on a different device iOS/WD/Desktop. 

Concurrent connections needed for occasional external users not in your organization. 

Alternatively a 25 user site license will provide up to 25 staff and unlimited WD users (customers) $2175 per year.

But for the best experience for your customers I would not recommend WD but rather use the dataAPI and write a custom web app or use something like FMBetterForums.com to serve this audience. 

8 hours ago, Ocean West said:

Six users is $1080 if you provide your own on premises server or host with a your own hosting provider. The same user can login on a different device iOS/WD/Desktop. 

Concurrent connections needed for occasional external users not in your organization. 

Alternatively a 25 user site license will provide up to 25 staff and unlimited WD users (customers) $2175 per year.

But for the best experience for your customers I would not recommend WD but rather use the dataAPI and write a custom web app or use something like FMBetterForums.com to serve this audience. 

Thank you so much for your reply! Just to clarify: the same user can login multiple times to different devices- no restrictions? So, my above scenario would work fine?

Interesting-- the filemaker rep quoted $8K for 20 concurrent users. He didn't mention the $2175 license you mentioned above.

Thanks for the tip- I'll check that website out once it comes back up (seems to be down.)

Are you or someone else available for a consult? I have some other questions related to license and don't mind compensating for a phone consult.

thanks!

In the agreement for the Site License Agreement section 1f, I bolded the key points. 

If you select a site license agreement for the minimum (25) even if your company only had 12 people. You would be allowed to have WD or FMGo users access to the solution as these are not restricted. 

A standard user license agreement does not offer this allowance. 

1 (f) FileMaker Clients. FileMaker Server Software includes the rights to access data stored in the database server using FileMaker WebDirect web browser clients, FileMaker Go clients and FileMaker Pro clients (collectively Client(s)). Each Authorized User may use any Client to connect to FileMaker Server. FileMaker WebDirect and FileMaker Go clients are not restricted for use by Authorized Users (as defined in Section 1(b)).

1 (b) Authorized Users. The Software may be used by all employees of Licensee at facilities governed by Licensee as identified by the Tax ID# or other identification acknowledged in writing by Claris. If Licensee is an educational institution, the Software may only be used by Licensees enrolled students, faculty, teaching assistants, administrators and staff on Licensees computers at facilities governed by Licensee. Licensee will use commercially reasonable efforts to restrict network or any other access to the Software by anyone outside of Licensees facilities who is not authorized to use the Software. Temporary employees, contractors, and consultants of Licensee who work on-site at Licensees facilities may also use the Software in connection with the operation of the business of Licensee so long as such temporary employees, contractors and consultants were included in the Initial Number of Seats. Any copies of the Software used by temporary employees, contractors and consultants must be removed from such individuals computers once they cease working at Licensees facilities.

This topic is 606 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.