Custom menu trigger via PgUp & PgDn keys?

Richmilnix

This topic is 565 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

My goal is to build a rudimentary game show-style buzzer for a team-based trivia contest.

The simple scripts, which fire some lights and sounds, are mapped to a custom menu set which is running fine with commands like Ctrl-LeftArrow.

I'm hoping to map them to be used with a Kensington slide advancer, which has three keys on it - 'b', 'PgUp' and 'PgDn'. (My plan was just to mutilate two of these slide clickers, so the left team has one that only fires the left arrow button, which is mapped to PgUp.)

I'm just figuring out though that the Edit Custom Menu / Specify Shortcut interface, where I can assign hotkeys, won't recognize the PgUp and PgDn buttons. Don't know why.

Hoping for suggestions to make this workflow function. Probably can't use recommendations for other hardware (because this clicker is the one my workplace has lots of).

The solution, for now: Microsoft PowerToys makes it very easy to remap keys, so I've remapped  the PgUp & PgDn keys to be Ctrl+left (right) arrow.

That'll ge tme through today, but in the long run, i'd like to know how to get FMP to see those keys natively.

32 minutes ago, Richmilnix said:

how to get FMP to see those keys natively.

You can use the OnLayoutKeystroke script trigger for this. In fact, if all you want is to map keys (or key combinations) to scripts, that should be an easier route than a custom menu. Unless you want to re-assign existing keyboard shortcuts.

To recognize a PageUp keystroke, have your script test for:

Code ( Get ( TriggerKeystroke ) ) = 2

while the code for a PageDown would be 3 (not tested in Windows).

Edited by comment

This topic is 565 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.