Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Editing a container field file

Go to solution Solved by Mike Tubman,

Hello All,

I am running Filemaker 23 on the FM Cloud. I have a "storage" Database where I keep a number of files for our projects. We tried using external storage and I do that for some files but we have a lot of remote workers and a terrible VPN so using a file server is not possible is some situations. So we create and save docs to the database and use a portal to view them for each project.

We open the files to look at them and attach them to emails, which works like a charm.  But on occasion we need to edit them.

My question is, is there a way to open a file (pdf or excel) from the database, edit it and then save it back to the database? Currently, we have to open it, then edit it, save it the desktop and then manually replace the existing one, which causes issues because sometimes users don't do it correctly and the changes are not updated on the Database version. If we edit it and just hit save, not sure where it saves it, but it's not in the database. All changes are lost and only the original exists in the database.

Just trying to make it as idiot proof as possible, knowing that as soon as you make it idiot proof, along comes a bigger and better idiot!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Mike

5 hours ago, Mike Tubman said:

Currently, we have to open it, then edit it, save it the desktop and then manually replace the existing one

I am not sure I understand the process you describe. Are these files embedded in the container fields? AFAIK, the only way to edit such file is to export the field's contents and open the file in its native application. Then, once it's done, you need to (a) save the edited file using the native application and (b) insert it back into the container field using Filemaker. Since Filemaker doesn't know if and when you're done editing, the user must initiate both of these steps.

You can partly automate the action by having a script export the file to known location, remember the path, and then insert the file back from the same location. If you do it in the same script, you can even force the user to insert the file back (or cancel) before they can continue with other tasks. But they could still mess it up by saving the edited file as a copy.

Edited by comment

• Solution

Thank you for the quick response, 

Yes the files are embedded and we are currently opening them, editing them then re-inserting them. I was able to use the Temp path to export and open. At least that won't leave any loose file around.

Thanks for your help!!