Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Where does it fit in.

This topic is 8374 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Can someone please explain how I would intergrate Unlimited into the following scenario.

Our Internal DB's have all been served via FMServer, over the past few month's we have been developing an online order system which will be rolled out to selected customers only.

Because of the limitations of FMPro serving to multiple users. How do I intergrate the Webside into our existing system.

1) Do you need to Run unlimited on a dedicated machine and share the mian DB's on FMServer via the HOST connection?

2) Do you run duplicates of the DB's and then create a link back for updateing?

much appreciated in advance

quote:

Originally posted by byteworks:

Can someone please explain how I would intergrate Unlimited into the following scenario.

Our Internal DB's have all been served via FMServer, over the past few month's we have been developing an online order system which will be rolled out to selected customers only.

Because of the limitations of FMPro serving to multiple users.

What "limitations" are you refering to? Why do you think that you NEED FMP Unlimited and an Online system?

quote:

How do I intergrate the Webside into our existing system.

1) Do you need to Run unlimited on a dedicated machine and share the mian DB's on FMServer via the HOST connection?

Yes, the Unlimited application is basically a FMP client in which Web Companion can serve data to an unlimited amount of IPs. You open the databases on this version and your CDML will point to this machine for retrieving data.

quote:

2) Do you run duplicates of the DB's and then create a link back for updateing?

You are actually running the DB directly off of the server, no need for anything like this.

I read somwhere else in the Forum regards Multithreading.

I'm under the impression that the Standalone version can only handle one request at a time, whereby the Unlimited can handle many.

However I have just read about the 5.5 upgrade so it may be worthwhile waiting for this.

The Unlimited title refers to the number of IP addresses that can access in a 12 hour period not how many things it can do at once unl'd is a single threaed client program.

5.5 will, so I've heard!, be Multi-threaded meaning it handle more than one request at a time (I'm looking forward to seeing this in action).

You need to get some idea of how busy the "active" pages of your site(s) will be. FMPro Unl'd does one thing at a time pretty quickly on a quick box (unless you do big searches and or sorts and scripts - scripts are not advisable on web products) so unless you think you are going to get many hits or will need to do major and repeated searching/sorting/scripts you should be OK using the one client box to start with.

hope this helps

Thanks for the reply.

On another Issue is there, or do you know where I can get information about using a FM Database web solution with a Linux Apache server or even Microsoft IS.

I'm trying to find out What is requried, how they would be intergrated and what are the underlying services needed i.e Perl, CGI etc.

I'm fairly new to this and could do with some info or guideance

Cheers in advance.

Computer with Microsoft IIS with WebConnector <----> Another Machine with Unlimited <------> possible FM server to get data consistency for multiple users.

Single vs. Multithread:

It is about TPS (Transaction per sec). What is better?

SingleUserThreaded machine (FM 5 Unlimited) with 5 TPS or Multithreaded Machine with 1 TPS?

The FM 5.5 Unlimited is Multithreaded and I hope, that the TPS will increase 2-5 times.

V. 5 is 3-7 times faster, than v. 4.

This topic is 8374 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.