Newbie - is it worth it/can i do it?!!

This topic is 8194 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi

I've read a lot of these messages and it sounds like I may be in for a world of pain trying to do what I want to do but here goes.

My client has an ASP<->Access holiday booking site which they want changed to use filemaker to match up with their own office database.

It looks like just throwing the filemaker database in there and using normal ASP connections is a non starter due to speed issues (I can't even get it to connect anyway) but I understand it's a lot faster using CDML.

I don't really want to rewrite the entire site but if I had to using CDML, does this require Filemaker server to be running (I guess so) - this is also a problem as the site is on an ISP's NT server which does not have the facility/inclination to change.

I could recommend they change to a filemaker server - does anyone know of any hosting companies that offer this as I am not a hosting company just a designer!

Basically I just want to weigh up the pros and cons of doing this. Any help appreciated.

Thanks 4 your time!

Justin

Just on a year ago I converted a site from asp/access to fm/cdml. The cdml solution was so much nicer to develop with ???-) I wote the original asp/access application anyway.

We did also use a fair bit of Javascript on the client side.

Each of these sites is hosted. These are Australian hosts; so I don't think they will be much use to you!

All the best.

Garry

You are no doubt aware of the problems with -scripts.

In addition to what other threads say of -scripts, on a hosted site your solution will be sharing space with other solutions on the same ScriptMaker engine. Thus if other sites are running -scripts, those -scripts could affect the performance of your site, though that is unlikely if you are not using -scripts. If you are using scripts on a hosted site and if others are as well, the possibilities of a conflict at ScriptMaker becomes multiplied.

Also, you should be aware of the security issues of FMPro which have been raised and are under discussion on these forums.

Hi

I would recommend using Lasso in conjunction with FMPro (although what u want to do is possible with FMPro alone), the enhancements in security and extra features available are well worth it.

Especially if you plan to have shopping carts etc. this is much more easily done using LDML (Lasso Dynamic Markup) and it's greatly extended code over CDML

As for hosting services

http://www.blueworld.com/blueworld/partners/webhosts/search.lasso

there are a few here from the UK

As far as pro's and cons:

Well in the case of security i would rate Lasso and FMPro running on Mac OS as the most secure option but even on IIS it would rate above ASP on IIS.

Yes u will have to learn a new markup but if you know ASP and have a good grounding in the theory (how the internet works in general) u will pick it up really quickly.

have a look at:

http://www.blueworld.com/blueworld/news/10.14.99-Lasso_v_ASP.html

and

http://www.blueworld.com/blueworld/news/06.28.00LassovsColdFusion.html

Hope this helps

laugh.giflaugh.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JustinB:

Hi

It looks like just throwing the filemaker database in there and using normal ASP connections is a non starter due to speed issues (I can't even get it to connect anyway) but I understand it's a lot faster using CDML.

I don't really want to rewrite the entire site but if I had to using CDML, does this require Filemaker server to be running (I guess so) - this is also a problem as the site is on an ISP's NT server which does not have the facility/inclination to change.

Thanks 4 your time!

Justin

You can start serving web from FM PRO for testing and then you need just FM Unlimited when you go public. It can run on the same box as NT, or on another machine through Web Server Connector.

This topic is 8194 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.