Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Maximum # Licensed nightmare!!

This topic is 8080 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Evildan - We feel your pain. I am a psychologist and I worry that you are headed for a core meltdown! I know that I'm the least expert of the folks on this forum but here is something that is true of every problem I've encountered with filemaker: The problem is always smaller than I'd imagined, never bigger. It is bad enough that you have gone through so much, it may be unbearable if you find out in the end the problem was something small. My gut feeling is that it is in the databases and it is something that you have not changed over from 4 to 5, like relationships or script steps - like an open file script step.

As for your question about routing through webstar, that web server connector thing does essentially that. It automatically routes all calls to filemaker through the webserver connector to the filemaker machine. The web companion on the filemaker machine can be set to any port you wish. You use the web server connector to specify the ip address and port to which webstar needs to send the requests. This is the exact set up that I use and would be happy to explain more if need be.

Good luck and don't loose your noodle

Well the day is finally here, when I can profoundly say I am now out of the license nightmare!!

Four or five os's later, several "fresh" installations, lots of lost hair and hours of sleep... and I think the problem has been found!

As far as I can tell there were a couple of things taking FileMaker Pro down... one of them was a missing database which gets called for by another database. It gets hit (on average) every 10 to 12 hours. The other thing I did was rebuild four of my most hit databases.... I still feel that one of those four brought FMP down at least some of the time.

The last order of business was the upgrade... a few of my databases made the upgrade in FMP an important step.

Although there were a lot of steps, and some could be considered a waste of time, I don't feel bad about any of them. Putting the system on OS 8.6 was the right thing to do... the drive did need to be reformatted... and it's most always a good idea to upgrade the program when having problems as I did.

FileMaker has been running strong (knock on wood) for two days straight! That's right no more midnight to 8 AM nights of checking the server, no more 200 mile drives to the main office... sleep... ahh welcome back my old friend!

I cannot thank all of you enough for every bit of informaiton. If it were not for this board and all of you, I would still be looking for a stray copy of FMP on the LAN... I've learned so much from every thoughtful post. Thank you for everything, thank you, thank you, thank you...

Dr.J. , I would be interested to learn more about the server connector... do I need to buy it or do I already have it?

[ March 11, 2002, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: evildan ]

Final Followup

I wanted to finish up the thread by letting everyone know it's been a couple of days with all positive results. FileMaker seems to be happy again. For how long, who knows. I feel pretty happy about the progress made along the way. I can't say I'm 100% happy with my options in FileMaker. I've read of some serious webcompanion security holes... and after testing them, it makes me wonder why I even bother using the implimented security database, etc...

I think FileMaker might be a short-term solution. I don't see me developing in it for much more than another year... of course, I could be forced to eat my words, but I hope by then I can find some other alternative database platform to produce my sites on.

I would love to prove myself wrong, becuase I actualy enjoy developing in Filemaker. I've been doing so for a couple of years now, and I finnaly got to the point where I wasn't referring to the CDML reference database everytime I wanted to do something simple.

All of this down-time has made me aware nothing I know is in stone. So I won't be so brass as to say that I won't be using fileMaker any longer... clearly FileMaker is a very powerful tool.

But for now, the nightmare is over, and I have all of you to thank for that.

This topic is 8080 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.