FileMaker Inc Applications....!

Ugo DI LUCA

This topic is 7530 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Maybe, maybe not.

While thier intent was not crystal clear, this is pretty much an evolution of thier existing scheme of including ready made templates that users can put into use right out of the box. Over the years thier templates have gotten better and better and now some are to the state where they are esentially little application that can be sold.

I am also not sure that this really "competes with thier own customers" since I cannot think of a single developer created product that is in direct competition with any of these. Now I can see how a small business consultant who makes a living by custom developing small simple solutions like this might look at this as competition.

However I can say with experience that even when I actually sold a "canned solution", the customer always spent more in customization. These were $500 per seat solutions, where the biggest part of our bill was customization.

Now, I do not know if Filemaker will allow developers to actually sell those applications along with custom development, but given the guerilla marketing strategy that they were discussing, this should like the way to go.

ernst said:

>>What to think of this strategy ?

It's a bit strange, Filemaker inc. should not be •selling• solutions IMO.

That's competing with their own customers.

Ernst.

Every IT company is selling own software and hardware to endusers if they have it.

But personal care, better skills, knowledge and expertise are making us unique and needed.

captkurt said:

I am also not sure that this really "competes with thier own customers" since I cannot think of a single developer created product that is in direct competition with any of these.

The Press Release says:

In two related announcements today, FileMaker also said the first two FileMaker Applications -- FileMaker Recruiter ($299 U.S. suggested list price) and FileMaker Meetings ($49 U.S. suggested list price) -- are available starting today.

FileMaker, Inc. will develop applications on an ongoing basis , addressing common business tasks that require gathering, managing and sharing information...Each application generally includes built-in email and reporting templates that allow users to personalize and automate communications and the sharing of information.

I imagine other Business Applications are on their way. That's obvious strategy. This MAY "grow the market for FileMaker" but could also lessen the market for Small Business Consultant, as Kurt pointed .

If FMI is focusing even more (seems to me it has always been the target) on Small-Medium Business with ready and easy to use (and custom) solutions, there are great chances that the Version 7 would tend to illustrate this strategy. Thus giving more space for other applications (4D and others Vertical Development Solutions) on the "Developer" Market.

Knowing that even these applications tend, at their time, to quit their "elitism" (with integrated assitants, more integrated help,...).... I'm a bit surprised and "anxious" about FMI's strategy.

By chance, Monsieur GOUPIL is here.

I wonder if FMI has considered the black eye it will get when the files break (and the will break) and there is no one there for support?

My mind keeps jumping back to a couple of descussion on this forum, not all tha long ago, when it was descovered that the Invoice file was broke (right out of the box) in their Solution

my 2

Hey Luciano,

FMI does not officially participate in any FM lists. The fact that there are lists that support their program, and on occasion their sloppy files, should not be misconstrued as support by them. You want support from FMI, you pay for pal.

Lee

smile.gif

Hey Junior laugh.gif

I know they don't. I hope they sometimes browse them though. shocked.gif

Now, as these solutions are opened for any customization, for sure this will lead new users to these lists, when they will have done some major mistakes.

And who will support them ? You daddy !

I won't complain to have more members to chat with, nor Steve I guess wink.gif

But man, this really stincks. It reminds me bad stories. Just as Ernst said...

One Spanish Manufacturer, about 10 years ago, came with a brand new line of products to distribute in France. We were about 10 dealers to contribute to its evolvement in the Region. Three years ago, they opened 10 stores from their own, right accross the street of each of us. Our stores are still open. Guess what...

I'll stop the dramma now. Just intriguous for me.

I think Ugo Luciano GianLuca DI LUCA has started a trend - I'm gonna call ppl by their full names! I invite you to join in the fun. Leave it to those Italian French ppl. cool.gif

As with many other companies, FM has a problem report area. "Ugo Luciano GianLuca DI LUCA" had the right website, but wrong page.

In the absence of these forums (and other sites), I think this would be the best way to report glitches.

Kenneth Michael Villalpando

Whatever the case with these solutions may be, I certainly hope FMI doesn't pull a Microsoft tactic on us. You know, the one where they release a "solution" that is really nothing more than a glorified beta version.

I'd really hate to pay good money (if there is such a thing) for an out-of-the-box solution only to debug it for them.

From what I've seen of the two new applications, whatever they're called, I don't think those of us who do this for a living really need to be too concerned. Just looking at the meetings db (you need FMP to run it, so I'll assume it's really just a db file) makes me want to switch into layout mode & start changing things. Which is exactly what any customer is going to want. They'll say, "give me the same thing as this here 'Meetings,' but change this part to..." blah blah blah.

If FileMaker wants to put out generic solutions, that's their prerogative. It is not their job to provide solutions which do exactly what the customer wants. That's our job. I don't see this changing that situation at all.

-Stanley

Yeah, Stanley.

I mean, they look like 2 over-priced templates to me. However, I would be interested to see what the Recruiter can do. Is there a demo?

The fact the FM is selling something makes me believe that the technical support for it will be such that FileMaker Pro has (which is like none).

Kenneth Michael Villalpando

FM Inc., are going to need a huge amount of support engineers dealing with both ends of the spectrum when it comes to user questions. I cannot see them supplying locked solutions, offering paid support and managing to deal with the multitude of custom-like scenarios that we have all had to deal with. Logistically, it would be a support center's nightmare. Best bet for them would be to sell unlocked solutions with a warning attached saying change at your own risk. This would then bring us all more work, right?

This from the news release:

"Although FileMaker Applications are designed to be ready-to-use applications, they can also be customized and extended by developers."

So they ARE just overpriced templates.

-Stanley

This is going to get very interesting. I've had some past experience with some industrial software where the company sold it for years without any actual field experience (at least you wouldn't think so). I would talk to their tech support all the time and tell them they should send some of their people out into the field and see what was happening in the real world. They honestly didn't have a clue about making a real workable solution with their software, but they were at least smart enough not to try to bypass the real developers.

FMI could easily find themselves beyond their depth if they try to sell full solutions. But it might teach them a good lesson.

Yeah, like last time someone from NY asked FM support about Polish letters and that TS idiot said -- not possible. Not even wrong answer like do this and do that and it is not correct procedure.

This was completely misleading.

Fortunately that NY gentleman asked here or on another forum.

Not knowing basic about the program functionality -- what is that person doing there? Why he/she didn't check the FMI website and didn't send user to another nearer country?

Unfortunately some software companies are employing plain idiots without touch of common sense frown.gif

Steve,

That is the absolute truth. The 1 and only time I called Filemaker with a Tech question I was sent to 3 or 4 different people, and never got my question answered. Made one post at the Cafe and my question was answered completely. Maybe Filemaker should hire some of the people on this forum to answer everyones questions, but then again why would they do that? Everyone here is more helpful the their tech support and they don't pay anyone a dime.

The product is good!

Tech Support Sucks confused.gif

But at least we have these forums laugh.gifgrin.gif

Michael

When was the last time a major software company didn't provide a support forum for users? Personally I'd start at the top and send most of those clowns packing. If it weren't for the independent forums, there would be many disgruntled users with loads of unsolved problems.

Steve

This topic is 7530 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.