Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Repetitive Strain Injury

Anatoli

This topic is 7139 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• 33 years later...

When I know that I'm going to be creating a few scripts, I always make my first one open ScriptMaker (Cmd 1). It seems like a little thing, but it does save mouse movement. You can also use the Tab and arrow keys to move around in the ScriptMaker Window.

HTH

Lee

Thank you for that...as the nuns use to say!

Is there an ergonomic mouse on the market that really works?

Anatoli, how good is your CIRQUE? (I was thinking of taking a few tablets myself).

And as regards "Power Users" - could you please explain how to move layout objects without a mouse? I can only think of mind control, which doesn't yet work, or voice recog software which is **far** too slow for "Power Users".

Thanks

Paula

Paula the [power users don't use mouse smile.gif] is actually 20 years old saying, when first mouses just started to appear. It was meant here as joke for old folks here.

CIRQUE is good addition to mouse, it is like small pad on notebooks and you just use your finger to operate. Software is good and doesn't collide with mouse.

IMHO -- best mouse for me is old Apple and now it is incarnated for PC as SONY VAIO 2 button and wheel mouse, bought on eBay.

Back to the question at hand...

1. long trips into ScriptMaker -- use a "macro" program. I like OneClick for OS 9 and iKey for OS X. There are similar tools for Windows. I have my F1 key call up Scriptmaker and tab into the scripts area. From there, you can type the first few letters of the script name, or use up/down arrows, page up/down, home/end keys. Those things also work in Define Fields.

2. how to move layout objects without a mouse -- use the arrow keys!

You give a whole new meaning to "simulated horizontal portals".

But seriously, the tips are great. I've just downloaded iKey and tried to search for Anatoli's whadayamacallit thingy (without success) and I already use as many shortcuts as I can remember, which reminds me... that was a nasty trick of FileMaker to change the shortcuts in v6. How are developers supposed to remember obtuse commands such as Cmd+r for group?

Hi Paula,

You give a whole new meaning to "simulated horizontal portals".

Not sure exactly what is behind it smirk.gif

Just one point though, as you seem to have picked this in one of my posts.

As I released the "Horizontal Portal" in the Sample section, I was privately told that this wasn't really an Horizontal Portal. True. You can get a better approach at Ray's Web Site (CobaltSky).

Mine is a Horizontal Scrowl in a Portal, while his is a "Simulated Horizontal Portal".

wink.gif

Anatoli...

Where have you been... in Mac-land? You select the object by tabbing to it.

You move it with your arrow keys.

tab into a field and hit the return key unitl it tries to go off the layout and you get the window telling you it will go off the layout and asking if you want to allow this... hit the "N" key and what you typed will leave the field and become layout text object. Now you don't need to mouse to that anymore.(of course, just tabbing to the part itself and typing will enter text objects... use Crtl+Tab to move out of the text object)

So Anatoli, get keyboarding...

Using Windows XP here so I can't speak for MacOS. Ctrl+Alt+Delete is still a very good solution to RSI.

P.S. I only mouse

P.P.S. It has been shown that the best use of the above shortcuts occurs while in close proximity to the equator.

Riley Waugh

WRW Solutions

St. Croix, Virgin Islands

OK,

I started the last post as a joke... now I find that I can change fill colors and patterns,pen color patern and width, embossed, engraved, etc, all field and button and date and time attributes, part definitions,.

essentially anything...

But, in deference to Anatoli, I can't figure out how to get the cursor to enter the object size box!

Than you for defending me smile.gif

The tab is OK for couple of fields.

But if I want to select the object somewhere down on the layout, I always grab mouse. I do not have the patience to click Tab click Tab click Tab click Tab click Tab click Tab click Tab click Tab click Tab click Tab click Tab click Tab click Tab click Tab click Tab click Tab click Tab click Tab click Tab click Tab click Tab click Tab click Tab click Tab click Tab click Tab click Tab click Tab click Tab click Tab click Tab click Tab click Tab oh mistake, I am past the correct one so let's do the Hold shift click Tab Hold shift click Tab Hold shift click Tab Hold shift click Tab uhm... click Tab -- Great, here I am, what I want to do here with this field?

Anatoli, you went back in time for your last post? How did you find a dial-up connection on new year's eve in 1969?

Well the thing is I have this machine from my father who was doing some stuff for military during SWW. Remember Philadelphia experiment?

He will not like very much this date above, which is clear proof about my last time-jump.

You are excellent observer smile.gif and I love to tell you more, but then I'll be afraid that someone will try to terminate you frown.gif

Better will be not talk about that.

• 6 months later...

Hi Paula,

Have a look at www.keybowl.com, they offer an alternative to the mouse AND the keyboard. I haven't tried it myself, but am keen to find something to avoid RSI, something I thought only wimps suffered from until I got it myself, most uncomfortable!

From the website:-

If you are challenged by...

• 5 months later...
  • Newbies

Late again...

...using the Fingerworks TouchStream Lp here and loving it!

From the website:

Tired of reaching between mouse and keyboard? TouchStreams are the first computer input devices that completely eliminate reach and delay going from typing to pointing! The electrostatic surface sensors let you touch type effortlessly, with zero key force and a light, airy touch, while the tented LP support frame puts wrists at comfortable angles to ease carpal tunnel pressure.

The learning curve is a bit high but the result is worth it.

cheers

eve

This topic is 7139 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.