transfer time

This topic is 6990 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

The time for "conversion" depends on the number of records, fields, and if there are container graphics that need to be converted. For a 10 file solution this might take a minute if there are no records, or many hours if there are 100,000 records with container graphics.

"Can virtue be learned" smile.gif When such matters needs to be approximated, must it be Parkinsons Law that comes nearest "demand expands to exhaust the available supply" ...so if you know you self well enough to know that you can't stand the temptation of using the new features that before only were posible via circumventions the longer the process takes. Mastering a technology is always a question of "Just because we can ... should we??"

--sd

No, I was referring to your obscure observations. But I think I have those figured out now.

"Our understanding may not contradict itself, but it is still possible that it may be in contradiction with, certainly, our sense perceptions. This may become clear with an example."

Sounds like something you'd say, but that was from the Kant Generator . I don't know that you use a random phrase generator, but you often write like you do. ooo.gif

Ender is ridiculing the way I create my sentences, by comparing my style with a famous Prussian philosophers sentence structure - But as it is, does most of civil serveants, military personel and intellectuals in my vicinity stem from prussian families, like the Norman conquest of the British Isles turned the establishments language into something considerably french influenced ...this is why we not any longer talk old norse in either of the places.

http://www.europarl.eu.int/language/apprendreen_en.htm

--sd

• 1 month later...
  • Newbies

I was wondering on average how long it took to tranfer a good size mult-file database (containg about 10 tables) fm6 to fm7, or what people's general experience has been with transferring a fm6 db to fm7 db

I am in the process of converting FM5.5 to FM7, 50 files into one file with 50 tables; for now the most time consuming convertion is redoing the layouts; I cannot understand that FileMaker do not offer more tools for developer event in its FM7 developer version. For example:

A Layout importer (copy and paste is bad),

A table definition importer,

A Value list importer...

We just have the script importer !!!

Check out FMRobot by New Millennium, it's been mentioned in the past here in the Forums, and as I recall it has been very positive. I haven't used it myself yet (I haven't switch to v7), I have been reading about it, and it sounds like just the thing to bridge the gap for you. It may sound a little pricey at $200, but a bargain with the number of layouts you are talking about. I should think that it would pay for itself in a short time.

HTH

Lee

cool.gif

cgiguere,

It is not necessarily best to have everything in one file, especially for large solutions. I have kept my large back-end files separate, to make maintenance easier, and started a modular approach with everything else.

This topic is 6990 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.