Migration Tools

This topic is 6711 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I would like to get peoples feedback on which migration tool to buy. FM Robot, FM Migrator, or which other is out there to buy.

What I want do is to have one single file with all my scripts, layouts, fields and so on.

I know I am going to have to do some cleaning up. I just don't want to do all of that copying and importing stuff.

PS, I don't have developer. I want to convert from FM5 to FM7.

Thanks for you feedback

Read the product description for each tool

FM Robot requires Developer. You would only need the v6 in this case. You can try it out, but you are limited to 3 files and 5 fields IIRC, to see it work.

Migrator required I think exports your files to other formats such as MySQL.

For what you described, you should need to use a tool. Just convert a backup of your file .

HTH

Lee

Boy, I'd seriously consider upgrading to v8 Developer, since it will import fields and field defs. Then you'll only need to copy the layouts and import the scripts. I don't think the available tools will do much more and you'll get Developer for what you'll pay for any of the tools.

Steve

That is an excellent suggestion, especially with just wanting to move one file now. For the price of FM Robot, you can have the Advance version, and, the new stuff, which is well worth the upgrade price.

BTW,I was able to do it for $285.00 through amazon.com using version 6. That offer is going away soon I understand. So you should check real soon to see that you don't miss out if you have any thoughts at all about doing it.

Lee

Yep, for a once-off migration. But for a serious developer FMrobot has more value: it also migrated custom value lists, custom functions and privilege sets. All things that FMPA8 can't copy or import.

And the next version will do Table Occurances and Relationships.

Hi Wim,

As you know, you can't use FM Robot without Advance or Developer.

I agree that if you were doing more than a single file solution, and/or were to have a need to do several solutions, than Robot would be a must have tool. (Of course if you have the funds, then there isn't any decision) :P

Lee

Wim, how about a tool that cleans up File References? Since your an acknowledged expert, I've always wanted to have a cross-reference table (reports) that displays:

• Current Relationship is referenced in the following scripts:
  • Current Field is referenced in the following scripts:
  • Current script is called by the following scripts:

Is this type of info available in the DDR?

Steve

Yes, it's all there. But you need to parse out the XML and do the cross-referencing yourself with XSLT or a programming tool. Fun to do though...

If I have time in the next few weeks I'll finalize my DDR tool that can do that. In its current state it cross-references all the field info.

This topic is 6711 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.