Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Web viewer : huge disapointment

This topic is 6497 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Ok great, I'll try that. Basically what I'm excited about and need to do is produce a report in html that has hyperlinks based on the content of a certain field. Right now (with dev 7) I have to export to html, then edit the code and do a find/replace to change those fields to hyperlinks based on it's value. It's sooo time consuming. With the web viewer and that report they showed in the included example it looks like this is possible to be automated.

I think XML export with a stylesheet is the best way to accomplish this - but XML/XSL has a steep learning curve.

I haven't played with the new toy yet, but it seems like this "browser" cannot extract plain text from HTML? If this is true, I guess parsing HTML will become the most FAQ on the forum.

XSL has a steep learning curve - talk about it, i was forced to conform to a company's data structure a month ago - god it was a pain. It took me two weeks, a video, two books and forum help to work it out. Even now i still have trouble working out the exact paths to nodes within the xml documents.

And in terms of the plain text thing - couldn't you just try using GetAsText()

EDIT: Nvm, i just realized its an object not a field.

Edited by Guest

Hey thanks for fixing the code. Yea I don't know what's up with FileMaker on the Mac with file paths. You would think they could get things on work on their "native platform" so to speak. On my Mac (Dual 867 10.3.9) the web viewer still didn't activate the html for some reason. This is not something I need to do but I thought I would whip up the example file as a proof of concept anyway.

-Mark

Thanks spankalee.

I found the problem. file: needs two forward slashes after it. I fixed the show code script and put a single forward slash after "file:" in the 5th line. Now the set field has "file:/" and it works fine when the render html button is hit.

Darryl

Spankalee,

Just a comment to your Get(DesktopPath) bug. How is it a bug? When I run get path to desktop in Applescript, I get

alias "Macintosh HD:Users:DarrylW:Desktop:" which starts with Macintosh HD.

I used this path for my path to the html and voila, it worked.

DarrylW

AppleScript path's are MacOS 9 paths, to get the "correct" MacOs X path, use "posix path to destop folder".

FileMaker's path references are still MacOS 9, colon substituted by slash. Due to this, FileMaker ist still (8.5v1) unable to work wih mounted Volumes ("Macintosh HD"), that share the same name.

Quite a shame for an Apple-owned company....

I was disappointed too until I took the time to do some research on the various protocols that web viewers can use. There's more to web browsers than http and file!

Go to this article:

http://www.fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/178637/

This topic is 6497 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.