Display Checked Records

bp_travis

This topic is 6434 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello there. I have a database with checkboxes in different layouts. Its a kiosk registration form. I want the final page of the layout display on the checkbox forms that they checked. Its a summary of their purchase and so they can print out a confirmation. I can copy all the fields to that final layout, but it ends up being very long. I don't want to waste paper if they only checked one field and it prints out all of the checkboxes on 3+ pages. Thanks

Edited by Guest

I would create another document and a relationship between the two then upon a "printout" request, use a script to "send" only those checked items (via a find) for that particular transaction to the other document (via import, from within the second document) and then print it out.

When it's done printing, delete all records in the second document so it's clear and ready for the next print

Yeah, you'll need a script.

Actually, the relationship is not needed. Create a second document that has similarly labelled fields and a layout to your liking for your printout.

Create a script in the first document to FIND the items you desire for your printout then create a script in the second document to IMPORT that found set. Then add the "perform script" line to the FIND script to access the IMPORT script (matching names) in the second document so it's all done in one step

You'll end up with a window that reveals only what you wanted to view. You can either choose to print that window or modify the previously mentioned scripts to automatically print a hard copy

I hope this helps

Hello. When I create the find script, I want it to automatically find the checked and filled in text boxes. I don't want the user to have to manually input anything. I am not quite sure how to create the find script to find the checked and filled in stuff. Thanks

Then you said it right.

Checkboxes are just another way of displaying data.

Place another copy of the field on a layout, and then search it.

i.e.

Go to Find layout

Enter Find Mode

Enter Find Criteria

Perform Find

Go to Original Layout.

HTH

Lee

p.s.

There is a site www.fmfiles.com that has a lot of version 3/4 files that may be helpful to you.

Edited by Guest
p.s.

Hello. I am new at filemaker so some of this stuff sounds more complex than it probably is. So in the second document, I create new fields that are similar to the ones in the main document? Then I do a find in the main document? But how do I make that find only display the checked records? Maybe I am missing something. Thanks

Like Lee stated, a checkbox is only a way of displaying a fields contents.

So if your checkbox was a "yes" it would actually put the word "yes" in that field

So when performing the find, set the field to "yes" (or whatever)

Hope this helps

Unfortunately, I can't have them have a value of "yes" or something because they are part of a lookup. They are specifically named so other fields near them display certain information from another database when the checkboxes are checked.

The form is basically so attendees to a trade show can register themselves and then print a reciet for them and us.

I meant describe your solution in detail (or attach a demo). It's difficult to advise without knowing how your solution is structured. Offhand it seems that the checkbox is used to select purchased items. If so, these should be separate records in a LineItems table - otherwise you won't be able to get any kind of reporting on items sold. This is a structural problem, not a display problem.

As a patch, you could (I think - again, I can't visualize what you have very clearly) put the same field on the receipt layout, formatted as edit box. Make it high enough to accomodate all values, and use sliding to save on paper.

It's just as I thought - you don't have a LineItems file. I would suggest you follow the Invoices - LineItems - Products model for this. This means that selecting a product for purchase creates a new record in LineItems. You then print the invoice (or receipt) from the LineItems table.

This topic is 6434 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.