Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Repeating Calculation Fields

This topic is 6217 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Ok...two questions here. First:

Of what use really is a repeating calculation field? And secondly, can you write a formula that creates different calculations per repetition - and here's the tricky part: can you create different calculations per repetiion within one calculated field?

I'm fully with Phil here, remember filemaker isn't neither a spreadsheet nor a wordprocessor. It's natural that you bring in a few prejudice as to what a RDBMS really is but as such is repeating fields a violation of 1NF, which is pretty severe. When developers however chooses to denormalize their solution, is to optian special features, but usually only with interface elements and relational keys ...but hardly ever with raw data directly from the users keyboard.

You're obviously aware that you question is kept in general terms, which means that a replier should exercise the outmost caution when replying, to ensure not to substantiate any of your prejudice, and especially if those are missing the point with RDBMS' as such.

We would expect to see a real life problem, to consider if it's justified to keep you in ignorance ...or you really might have a point in your choise of repeaters.

--sd

Repeating fields are not that good to store data, but they can be quite handy to transform data in fancy ways. E.g. one can use such fields to make cross-tab reports :)

I don't quite understand the difference between the 2nd and the 3rd questions. When you define a repeating calculation, you can access the repetition number using Get( CalculationRepetitionNumber ). This way you can have something like different formulas in a single field. E.g.

Choose( Get( CalculationRepetitionNumber ) - 1;

"One",

"Two",

"Three",

... )

Is this what you meant?

Finally another repeatition lover

Aren't we all? The real problem here, is to advice about them ignoring the proper cautioning, they clearly require! It takes virtue to keep on the straight and narrow... and preventing to hoint them at all things occuring!

--sd

Aren't we all?

It's not that clear !

I'm reading so much post that discourages the use of repeating fields without even know exactly why the poster wants to use them.

This topic is a good example of what I mean; here it seems that the use of repeating field is a good choise.

Yes but this is regarding repeating calcs. I dont you will find many posts on here discouraging the use of repeating calcs. We all know their usefulness.

Where most people do have a problem with is using repeating fields for data, and that is where you find most of the objection.

This topic is 6217 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.