How to make a field non-editable based on the value of another field

This topic is 6181 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All,

I work in filemaker 6 and have a problem which i am trying to solve.

A field A should be made non-editable ( user can get into the field and copy the contents of the field but cannot modify the field) depending on the value of another field B.

These two fields are not in the same layout.

I am sure there must be a way to do it but am not able to figure it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You can create a calculation field that displays the value of the other field. Calc fields can not be modified, but you could copy the contents.

So cFieldA would have a formula of FieldB

HunterBoss, You are right.

Mr_Vodka, here is the situation - I have a layout with a couple of fields where the end user comes and keys in some text value in these fields initially and my check field ( say field B ) is set to "initial". Then some reviewer logs into the database and reads these text fields again and edits them and creates a final version. Now the check field ( field B ) is set to "final". Once the check field is set to "final", end users can only look at these text fields and copy the value in them but cannot edit them.

But the users will still need to go to the same layout and look at the same fields. These text fields should initially be editable and later become non-editable. From Field B, we can tell whether these text fields should be editable or not.

If you can think of a way to implement this, it would be very very helpful.

Thanks.

You could make field A a text field and make it non-enterable. Make it a button, use the Set Selection or GoTo Field script to enter the field if field B criteria is met. Else script copies or transfers field A content or whatever, etc.

Freeze Window

If [field B says bla bla]

Set Selection [field A]

Else

Copy [field A]

End If

Two techniques :P

- before FM8 :P the "hide me" technique (known as 'Osborne trick', even if he pretends he didn't invent it. I'm sure he did :)). See the attachment.

- since 8 : two fields on two different tabs, one is editable, not the other. Just go to the correct tab depending on you criteria.

LockDocument.fp7.zip

Mr. Vodka

Just went and had a look at what you attached to your post. The script you've created looks like it could be modified to handle more than a simple yes/no question. I want to create something that follows a decision tree. This looks like it would let me guide users through that path.

Thanks

Christopher

Or use field A itself as a button for a script:

If B = "whatever"

copy A

else go to field A.

You could include a message telling the user that the field is no longer editable and asking whether the user wants to copy the contents.

This topic is 6181 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.