Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filemaker 9: New Features

This topic is 6114 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Well, I'm in Minneapolis and I haven't gotten my email....

Maybe they just don't like me as much.

Hmmm do you and Ender hang out together Dana? :(

Ender,

I just started messing with organizing my scripts in folders. The only way I have to move them is copy/paste. Kinda sucks the button loses the script when you do this. Glad I learned this while moving only 4 scripts :(

There has to be a better way.....lol

(I just bought my upgrade to 8.5 last friday, thankfully I got Matenance, but no email yet)

Anyone know if they have updated the "Active X" controls? can you pass a parameter to a filemaker script from an outside script yet? Are the pdf file sizes any smaller? any better controls for the web viewer? Have they given us anyway to check the status of a webpage in a viewer (Loading, error, done, ...)?

Sorry, It's hard for me to wait. So many questions...

Grab onto the little up/down-arrow dealy. Getting a script into an empty folder is a little hit-or-miss, but after that, it's easy. Maybe it takes some hand-eye coordination--I need to get a teenager in here, with some video game skills to organize my scripts.

Before anyone gets confused. You ONLY would lose buttons if you copy and paste scripts..... then delete the old scripts that you copied originally.

As AudioFreak will tell you :(, this is not the best way to get script into folders. Just drag them down in to the folder using the little arrow dragging method we are all used to.

It is definitely a chore making sure that they get in there but I'm sure we'll get used to it

I'm not really sure on the other things but as far was the webviewer goes you can use the function:

GetLayoutObjectAttribute ( objectName ; attributeName {; repetitionNumber ; portalRowNumber} )

Just pass in the name of your object and content as it's a attribute and this function will return empty until the page is finished loading. I know this isn't idea but hey it's something. Also, the web viewer now has a built in loading bar. It's a little cheesy but again better then nothing. We are going to post something about the web viewer early tomorrow I think so come back for more.

I know that probably didn't assuage your hunger but at least it's some info.

I meant the site. I did get a demo of Advance, but I felt that it was a little unstable.

Can anyone point at the features that are only in Advance?

Lee

The new features in advanced center around a improved data viewer and Script Debugger. These may sound like small improvements but cut down on development time.

I posted some links to articles I wrote in a previous post which point out some of the benefits of the upgrade. If you are looking for something completely new, nothing really crosses my mind.

I read them, and then downloaded the demo of 9 (I have the Advance in Beta Form), and was wondering why I would pay the 300 bucks for these two tools. The the Self Function, conditional Formatting is a big hit for me, and a Script Organizer that is only about half done. A method to sort would have made it even better.

Anyway, I didn't notice any Functions or Features other than what you have written about (a [color:red]BIG THANK YOU [color:blue]for doing these articles), and really haven't made up my mind about upgrading (LOL)

IMHO, this should have been 8.5.v2 (Free upgrade)

Lee

Okay, after that example, now I like FileMaker 9...

So: "data:text/html," tells filemaker (and not the default web browser which would be subject to url length limit) that the data to come isn't a url and so it should parse html instead?

I believe that is correct. FileMaker now handles the data url internally, and makes sure the data gets to the underlying browser in an acceptable form. So data urls:

1. use the same syntax across platforms

2. can handle large amounts of data

3. are no longer susceptible to url encoding problems

4. work reliably on Windows

You're in Australia, where it's probably last saturday at 2:00 PM right now. What's my excuse? :(

• Newbies

It is very simple to put scripts into folders (with some practice)

Drag script below folder, then drag right to put it into the folder (Icon will indent to the right to let you know it is in the folder)

Very simple once you know how

Hey SixFried,

Very Nice presentation and the addition of the files is a very nice touch. I also like your blog, very easy to read and straight forward.

[color:blue]Ender Said: “He, he. Actually, I've been trying to talk Harry into ghost writing a FileMaker book for me, I don't know why he won't bite." I may as well I’ve done everything else for the boy!

[color:blue]Ender Said: It's a good offer: look through all my posts to understand how I think, then write the book as I would write it” Nothing new here either. Just means more time on the Sci-Fi channel…

[color:blue]Ender Said: And give me credit for it. What's wrong with that?” How much more credit do you want from my stuff? How do you think it makes me feel you sitting there on the porch, eaten a Moon pie, chugging down an RC cola while humming Sweet Georgia Brown? Then I walk by your place with a girl and you yell out “Hey Harry that’s the first girl I ever seen you with that you didn’t have to blow up”! It’s just so wrong on so many levels. Hey at least I'm back in mens clothing!

Genx, do you now see what I have to deal with here? I even got a phone call because of this post calling me all kind of unseemly names and really roughing me up. Thanks a lot Mom!

Harry

Edited by Guest

Thanks Harry, we are trying to get a lot of good content up there early... we are actually looking for some more article ideas. Any suggestions?

Our next one will probably be one the difference between IWP and WP because there seems to be a bit of confusion. Not that exciting but I think it's worth it.

Hi Jesse,

Thanks for all the effort you guys have put into these and sharing them with the community! :

*Edit

BTW the post is password protected. Is it supposed to be?

Edited by Guest
Password notification

Our pleasure, we would love to get some more ideas from fmforums users as to more articles that they think would be helpful. We have a couple in the works... One on google earth integration, building filemaker widgets with FM Server, IWP vs WP, Find mode requests, page numbering and one on zero width tabs that should be pretty cool. We are always looking for more so please add your ideas!

Do you know what would be really cool, now that you mention google earth... If you guys use the google API a lot (I have been too busy to use it), it would be great to have a tutorial or blog on how to create custom communities within FM nad using the webviewer.

Here is an old post that I posted...

http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/183011

Nobody likes responding to my posts that I start. They dont like me... :frown:

This topic is 6114 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.