Server Maintenance This Week. ×

virtulized

This topic is 6103 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

my manager is trying to virtualize me. i need some reasons to get him to get me an actual desktop or laptop.

i am the "filemaker developer and administrator" but i'm starting to feel like a lot less than that.

the main reason for him wanting to do this is to meet HIPAA compliance. i'm so frustrated that i'm not sure where to even begin trying to convince him other wise.

Just stick a few extra "bugs" in there. Then when he calls you in to fix it, you can tell him how it would really be better to overhaul to whole thing to take advantage of new features. :) ;)

i'm trying to fix improve a systems that really bad to start with and there are more "bugs" int he current system than i could have imagined.

i don't even know were to begin with this i'm just so frustrated over the whole thing its making me sick.

1. You need a computer that is set up as any typical user would run the application, for testing. (this might be virtal but only if everyone is working that way.)

2. If there is ever any problem with the files (data corruption, Upgrading, ...) you should be working with the files locally. That means a Physical Computer with enough ram to handle all of your files. (Say there is a power failure or the server crashes and corrupts one or more of your files, Data could be lost, without a phyical machine how could you deal with this quickly and efficantly? With this ability you can often stablize and save the files and have them back on the server with minutes. minimizing down time for the entire company. I have 30 + people whose jobs stop if filemaker goes down. The company still pays them but they aren't producing. )

I get a little windy but I think I made the point.

It's orange on my screen. What skin are you using?

Click on of the words say [color:blue]Link

and [color:blue]Here for the links.

Lee

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...

... What's wrong with Virtualization?

In any case I don't think the costs apply here given that it sounds like the rest of the work force is primarily virtual.

In any case, here's the solution lol:

Get a Desktop / Laptop AND have a virtual work place - everyone's happy. Besides lol, how do you expect to access a Virtual Machine without a physical one?

I run a T43 IBM which is allright, but it just doesn't cut it for me sometimes. So I log onto my virtual machine where a max of 4 gig of ram has been set aside for me and off I go. Its not unusual for me to have 3 or 4 virtual machines open at any one time - ie Web Server, FM Server, FM Dev, and finally Multimedia and Web Dev... and my laptop, for browsing the net, reading docs, foruming and naturally testing.

Mind you I access most of this via Citrix so the interaction between everything is quite smooth.

Anywho, I was quite against all this previously as well, till I blew my Laptop up a few months ago and had to call in a few favors. If you have to Virtualize... Virtualize well!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.