FM Adv 9.0 Executable File

thelebk

This topic is 6118 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I understand that it is possible to create an executable file in FM Advanced 9.0 that will allow an end-user without the filemaker software limited functionality of a filemaker database. Is this true? and if so how limited? Could a small multi-table database with a couple of relationships be usable in such a format? Does the executable conduct any type of installation and thus require system level permissions on the PC on which it runs? Thanks.

It's called a Filemaker "runtime" solution. The big gotcha with runtimes is that they are not multi-user. Only one person can work on the database at-a-time. Will this work for you?

Yes, in this particular case a single user stand alone solution will work. When the organization sees the value inherant in the solution they can then choose to invest in the FM software itself. However, will the execuatble require system level permission to function? Aka does it INSTALL anything, or will simply copying the executable file to the target PC be sufficient for it to run?

The runtime does not need to install anything AFAIK. All of the necessary dll files are right in the same folder with the executable, so it can be run from any location, and doesn't require admin access. (unless you've written it to do something on the computer that requires it)

No, the runtime (executable program) is separate form the data (fp7) file.

I've never done a Mac runtime myself, but I've heard that it's about 84 MB, and a Window runtime is about 54 MB. That's excluding your fp7 file.

"I want to develop on Mac and deploy on Windows, hence FM"

Ahhh... you need to create the Windows runtime from within WindOS, so you'll need either a PC or Parallels (or BootCamp) on your Mac.

"I want to develop on Mac and deploy on Windows, hence FM"

Ahhh... you need to create the Windows runtime from within WindOS, so you'll need either a PC or Parallels (or BootCamp) on your Mac.

Also, you'll probably want to test the database on the deployment platform anyway, to check for platform-specific issues.

You can also reduce the size of the runtime by deleting unnecessary language files.

This topic is 6118 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.