Server Maintenance This Week. ×

BAR CODE Questions-

This topic is 5836 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am having a few problems with the setup of Bar Coding.

I downloaded and created a calculation field(barcode) with code139 font.

Thus, the bar code has been converted and I can print them out fine. :

[color:red]My problems comes on how to setup the database to read them. I purchased a IDAutomation USB Barcode Scanner to do the reading.

[color:green]I need to make two scans--One with the item and one with the quanity.

I can set a script to call a form with item, quanity on it.

When I scan--

[color:red]Will the item number be put into the field?

[color:red]How do I move to the next field(need a tab somehow)?

[color:green]Doing a scan of the quantity(if the above works then this will work)

[color:red]Lastly, how in the world to I do a cntl end to save the record. The bar coders want to do a and that will just create another line in the field?

Thanks in advance for the help. If you are familiar with bar coding I could use some help.

Thanks

Chuck

Most bar code readers will allow you to program what happens after a scan. You should be able to add a tab after a read. I am unfamiliar with your particular reader (you didn't give the model), so I would suggest looking in the reader manual.

Yes, you are correct. The scanner will do a tab or return. But.....

Here is my problem.

example--I have two fields--

Item

Qty

The cursor is resting on Item because it tab position #1

I do the scan and the item is type into the field and then a tab is produced. All is Good B)

Now, I scan a Quanity. All is good again. The quantity is produced. :P

Now here is the problem--A tab is produced. This put me back on tab position #1 or Item.

What I need it for it to do a new record. From what I know I would need to put a cntl end to get to a new record.

[color:red]How do I get to a new record?? :qwery:

You may want to look into an inventory specific scanner. Then you would batch load the information into FileMaker.

Batch loading really won't work because the item that are being scanned out of inventory will be periodically.

Example--The user will remove Qty 5, Hex Bolts. Then 2 hour later he might remove Qty 1, Wood Screw.

Then it might be 1 week before another item is removed.

Batching would be good if there was a lot of scans.

Sorry about not giving the model of the scanner. It a IDAutomation Databar & PDF417 USB Barcode Scanner

Description--Keyboard emulation is enabled by default, which means that when the cursor is in the field of any application or form being used and a bar code is scanned, the data in the barcode will display in the field exactly as if it were typed.

Link to scanner PDF417 Barcode Scanner Link

One way to handle this would be to start a script before scanning. This could be done in a number of ways, the simplest one would just present a series of custom dialogs to the user.

For another approach see:

http://www.fmforums.com/forum/showpost.php?post/249904/

This topic is 5836 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.