Server Maintenance This Week. ×

SMTP settings

This topic is 4962 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have faithfully copied my smtp settings over from Mail, but despite an hour or so of tweaking, can't seem to get an email to go out. I keep getting error #1506.

Is there a trick to this? I mean, those exact settings are working fine in Mail.

Edited by Guest
Turned on users FM Profile

I've tried ports 587, 465, 25, 110, and checked and rechecked that I brought all my settings over faithfully from Mail. I still get error 1506.

I can't find any security settings that try to dictate what apps can send mail. Could there be some other thing happening in the OS?

Is there a log somewhere that will help me get a better idea of what the error is?

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I have been reading elsewhere that the problem with SMTP email using a runtime solution is in the name field. Some people write that the name cannot have spaces. Other people write that the name field must be left empty altogether.

I find this confusing and would like to know if anybody has the definitive answer about error 1506.

• 1 month later...

Nothing definitive, but a few more pieces of the puzzle...

Sometimes an error 1506 is related to the format of the email address given to the To: parameter, when you try to include the recipient’s name along with the address. Specifically, it cannot be in the most common form that includes the full recipient name by using angle brackets around the email address: Full Name [color:red]=BAD. To include both name and address, use the alternative form that places parentheses around the name, as so: [email protected] (Full Name) [color:green]=GOOD.

Also, to help find successful combinations of SMTP Send Mail parameters, you may find the following file useful: SMTP_SendMail_Interrogation.fp7. Essentially it attempts to send email using every variation of the settings you give it (SSL on/off, auth type, port #s, etc.).

Hope this helps!

Lee Lukehart <[email protected]>

Certified FileMaker Developer: v10/9/8/7

Expert FileMaker Trainer: v10/9/8/7

SavvyData

[color:orange]Making Data Make Sense.

• 6 months later...

Also, to help find successful combinations of SMTP Send Mail parameters, you may find the following file useful: SMTP_SendMail_Interrogation.fp7. Essentially it attempts to send email using every variation of the settings you give it (SSL on/off, auth type, port #s, etc.).

Lee,

This is a great tool - thanks!

• 3 months later...

This topic is 4962 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.