Sign in to follow this  
TLA-IT

MAC FMSA10 and xDBC access [ddfmsoc]

Hello everyone,

this is my first post here, so first of all good morning to all forum users and thanks for your time and help. Also, please forgive my bad English, it's not my first language ;)

We are trying to go online with a new web system based on an FM database. It is a WebObjects solution that talks with FileMaker via its SequelLink JDBC drivers.

Performances have always been a problem, since the supported subset of SQL commands is not responding as expected (at least, that is what our web developers say), data type matching is a big issue and response time can get awfully high with a somewhat heavy load (if 100 users in the system can be considered a heavy load).

We have already moved some tables to a separate MySQL DB (and, believe me, the response time on those tables is almost 30x faster!), but in some situations the whole FMS system still gets extremely slow when JDBC queries rely on FM data.

Our production deployment is an FMSA9 running on an Intel Xeon 2.33 Quad Core Xserve with 8GB of RAM, RAID1 SATA drives and MacOSX Tiger Server 10.4.11. All software is up to date with latest updates.

I am testing the new FMSA10 in the hope of some improvement, and I found out that, at least on OSX, there is something new even if mostly undocumented.

In my test FMSA10 deployment a new system process, ddfmsoc, is now managing the JDBC and ODBC connections and queries on behalf of fmserverd.

The best I could find about this is three lines in the FM10 xDBC guide, telling that a SequeLink Server 5.5 process is in charge of managing these requests, and to check its load if something gets stuck with xDBC queries.

I'd like to know if someone has some additional info on this matter, especially if there are some settings that can be changed to improve overall xDBC performances. I can only see that this new process is multithreaded.

In this new test deployment, the CPU load has almost totally moved from fmserverd to ddfmsoc, but the final result is almost the same.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Mat

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Jonah74
      Am I righting in thinking I can use a case statement to evaluate two fields and return an answer into a third field ie: Field A has the number 27 in it. Field B has the number 32 in it.  Could the case statement look at the difference and put the difference in Field 3.The difference being 5? 
      I’m also trying to get this to do the math on data entry, so the figure in Field A is 27 but when the user enters the new figure in Field B (i.e 32), it looks at that difference between A and B, copies the difference of 5 to Field 3 and then also copies the figure 32 from Field B into Field A thereby updating Field A to the new value.
      Help, suggestions or thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
    • By DChord568
      I am not a FileMaker power user by any stretch of the imagination, nor does my question relate to any particularly sophisticated use of the program, so I hope others here will forgive and bear with me.
      I formed a band my junior year of college with guys who have remained my best friends throughout all of the subsequent 46 years. Though we’re scattered in different parts of the country now, we reunite at least twice a year to make music again, and for the past 23 years we have recorded songs together at these reunions.
      I created a FileMaker database to chronicle these recording sessions, and all of the songs done at each of them. The record for each song contains the fields you might expect: Title, Songwriter; Original Artist (for songs we didn’t write ourselves); Year; Session; Lyrics; and a repeating field for personnel — i.e., who sang and played what on each song. Each band member also has a Comment field so he can share his feelings about the song or memories of the recording session for it.
      We store the master copy of the database in Dropbox, and all can access it at any time — though I’ve put a system in place to ensure that no more than one person at a time can modify or add data to the file, to avoid the dreaded “conflicted copy” syndrome.
      Each record in the database also has a Container field for the recording it pertains to. To avoid the unthinkable bloat that would result in storing 23 years worth of .wav files in the database, I naturally used FileMaker’s “Store only a reference to this file” feature for this field.
      The music files themselves reside on a 128GB thumb drive. The plan was to strike exact copies of this Master thumb drive for each band member that they would physically insert into their own computers, so the the song associated with a given record would play when they access the database and double-click the Container field.
      Perspicacious readers may now guess where I’m headed. I am the only one of the five of us who is on a Mac system. My Master thumb drive, as well as a copy I struck from it, works perfectly for its intended purpose. I have taken the copied drive from home (where it was created) and used it with no problems whatsoever on my work Mac. No matter which Mac I use, as long as I access the database from Dropbox and have the thumb drive inserted in that Mac, all is well — since the Mac automatically “sees” and can instantly access any external device plugged into it.
      My bandmates, however, are all on Windows systems — and as my closest friend feared, when I sent that copy of the thumb drive to him. it did not work in the same way, due to Windows’ convention of assigning a letter to any external device plugged into a Windows-based machine. It appears a Windows system needs a strictly defined file path to locate the music files on the thumb drive. And a different letter is likely to be assigned to this drive in each person’s machine, based on how many other peripherals he has plugged into it at any given time.
      My obvious question: is there any way around this issue? Is there some way to tell a Windows system “Look for the music files referenced in this database on the ‘F:’ drive” (or whatever drive is appropriate)? Or is each individual member doomed to manually relinking each one of the 280 or so music files that I so carefully linked on the master thumb drive?
      Only my closest friend I referenced has a degree of computer savvy, so I was hoping to make this entire process as easy as possible for all concerned. Thank you very much in advance for any help that can be given.

P.S. The database was created in FileMaker Pro 11.
    • By john renfrew
      WHen testing out High Sierra I am getting a Jav app in the dock every time I run FileMkaer with Scriptmaster. Closing doesn't seem to remove the app..
      It crashed the other day a couple of times so I ended up with three icons there

What is this, can can it not be so???
    • By elipsett
      I've been using FMP13 on MacOSX 10.12.6 with Apple Mail to send FMP-generated emails with attached PDFs. 
      I recently switched from Apple Mail to Airmail, and it is now impossible to send emails from FMP.

Does anyone know if Airmail can send mail with attachments on Sierra MacOS 10.12.6, if I upgrade to FMP16?
      That's the only reason I might really need to upgrade, and since upgrading to FMP16 will also require a few new computers to run the new OS that the new FMP demands, I'd rather not spend all that money now if I can avoid it.

Thanks.
    • By igservices
      I'm running FMPA 16.02.205 and ScriptMaster 5.05 in MacOS 10.12.6.
      ScriptMaster doesn't retain the activation state from one start of the app to another. It's not totally consistent either.
      Any ideas why the activation of the plug-in isn't being retained between app restarts?
  • Who Viewed the Topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.