Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Getting the Current Logged-in User List

This topic is 3772 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All,

I'm trying to find a way to get a list of all current logged-in users, whether they are FM Pro or IWP clients. Does anyone know of a way to do this, and also establish whether each client is an FM Pro or IWP client? I can capture details when a user logs in, and at that point establish whether they are via FM Pro or IWP, but can't trap if an IWP session ends through a timeout (and hence logs out the user). Thus I need a way to get a "Currently logged in" User list on demand.

Thanks!

This question does come up from time to time.

This likely cannot be done natively within FIleMaker Pro, at least in a reasonable fashion. IOW, there is no Get(CurrentAccountNamesConnected) function. This matter has been raised with FMI.

Some people have tried setting up a user's table whereby the name of a user is entered at log-on and removed at log-off. But if the user exits by some unanticipated fashion, the name remains in the table.

In Server 10, it might be possible to run a server side script to use the command to query the Admin Tool for a list of users and populate the table that way. Maybe once a minute? That seems a major production however.

Steven

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Server side scripts--as the name suggests--are scripts run by and on FileMaker Server. In this instance it would be a batch script or a shell script that tells the command line to query the Console and return a list of connected users. That list needs to be put where FileMaker Pro can import it. The server then tells FMP to run an import script. The results are then viewed in a hosted FMP file.

Now, see why I said this is a major production.

Steven

• 4 years later...

I have not read all the FileMaker 13 doc's yet, so the answer may be there.  I need a little indicator or widget to put on the landing page for my users so they can tell if my server(s) have, or almost have exceeded their concurrent user limit.  Any ideas?

Just like what Steven described in this old thread... a server-side schedule to get the list of currently connected clients.  Wouldn't be real-time as it has to be on a schedule but you can make the interval short.

The max # of connections would have to be hard coded.  On Windows you could read it from the registry perhaps (haven't checked if that FMS info is stored there).

A simple way to do this natively is a small on timer script that runs client side at a regular interval like once a minute. It sets a flag in a users table to 1 then every minute you run a server side script to get the total user count flagged and store that number in settings table, and then set all flags to 0. I've used this a number of times for varying reasons and it works fine. Make sure you build in error capturing to prevent record locks on the server side script.

I have not read all the FileMaker 13 doc's yet, so the answer may be there.  I need a little indicator or widget to put on the landing page for my users so they can tell if my server(s) have, or almost have exceeded their concurrent user limit.  Any ideas?

This may depend on your definition of "landing page."  If that is the WebDirect Home page and the specific user would exceed the connection limit, I don't believe that the user will ever make it to that Home page. The user should receive an error message when trying to connect.

Steven

This topic is 3772 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.