User Login to specific layout

This topic is 5504 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm looking to have user log in to their own specific layout. For instance I (dave) log in would be directed to "Sales dave" layout. When Mary logs in she will be directed to "Sales mary" layout.

I've made a start up script for the file and in it have go to layout name by calculation. "User = Get(AccountName)" and then what

I have a user table that has two fields 'user' & 'user layout'. I just can't get the calculation to work. Doing it this way i would eliminate someone from having to re-script every time there is a new hire.

I question your approach. Having a dedicated Layout for each user isn't typical. Having a user only see "their" records in a layout is more typical.

Check out this thread to see how to use rla to limit which records a user can view and/or edit. Link

The calculation "User = Get(AccountName)" makes very little sense. If the user's AccountName is "mary" and her layout's name is "Sales mary", you could go to a layout name by calculation =

"Sales " & Get(AccountName)

provided that the layout naming is consistent.

However, this is hardly a good method overall, because you would need to create a new layout every time there is a new hire.

I have a user table that has two fields 'user' & 'user layout'. I just can't get the calculation to work. Doing it this way i would eliminate someone from having to re-script every time there is a new hire.

Well wouldn't this be an issue anyway if you had to create different layouts for each new hire?

You should create privilege sets and manager your users that way. You can grab their priv set name with an opening script and then determine what layout they should go to that way.

*Edit. Hah got pulled away into a chat before I submitted the post therefore didnt see Michael and Barbara's posts. :o

Edited by Guest

thank you.

thats what i was looking for i just couldn't get it to click in my head. all other suggestions ive used before in the past and am not interested in <> for this solution. i have different tables for the level of leads. lead generator to q&a paper to sales and then to client. as the record moves along little different info is tracked by each different table along the way with a universal relationship with a record number.

i run a small company with about 0% turnover and am looking to guide fmnet and iwp users to their corresponding layouts and tables. all four levels of employees require different buttons and scripts and cannot share the same layout (without a big headache)

let me know your thoughts. this approach is absolutely functional, i love to hear suggestions and am open to any ideas from the forum

ended up going with Get(PrivilegeSetName) & Get(AccountName) and naming my layouts accordingly. works great! thank you again comment

You might want to take a look at thefmkb.com/7161 for more information about appropriate use of the Privilege Set Name.

Steven

This topic is 5504 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.