Dropdowns dead

This topic is 5359 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello to all, and congratulations for this rich and friendly forum. My first experimental database is just to try things. Three tables

------

Classes (class_id; class_name)

Students (Student_id; Student_name; class_id; class_name)

Records (record_id; student_id; student_name; record_date; record_value)

-------

Something is missing, I cant make a dropdown work anywhere...so please take a look on tha file, k?

Edgard1.zip

Edited by Guest

If you mean on the Students layout - you have the wrong field there: it should be the class_id field from the Students table, NOT the one from the Classes table (you really don't want to be changing that).

If you mean on the Records layout - it will work once you create a record.

Problem solved guys. You know, designing tables and relationships aint easy...

Now, tell me a way to a field named "last_occurence" display the most recent record for another table. Ofcourse I have also a portal to show all the occurences, but for listing purposes, I want a separated fild with the date for the last one :

Here goes my database after some experiments

Edited by Guest

I am sorry, I couldnt express me right. I cant find a way for a Portal carries links for each record page. It would be nice to set the "last" record or the "total" or "average" elsewhere too.

Thanks for your support.

Ah! Here goes my file so far...

Edgard1.zip

Edited by Guest

I am trying to use the Last function but it returns a stranger result rather than a date :))

What is missing there?

1. You did not define the result as a date.

2. You did not sort the relationship so last gives you last by creation order, not date.

Actually that 'strange' number is the number of days from 1/1/0001. It shows that way because, as Bruce points out, the result of the calculation Last Activity is number instead of date.

When you have a situation like this, it is best to create tables and look at your raw data. In your Grades table, your grade number is like Grade 2. But in your Students table, your grades are like Grade2 (no space) and these are your key fields.

In addition, in your Students table, (which is the portal side to Grades and the side in which the key field, grade_number, must be indexed), you have indexing off and you have it unchecked to automatically index. Set it to minimal and it will work.

But why oh why are you basing your relationships on Student names, Class names and grades instead of their IDs? You really need to use the IDs. And since you have a Grades table, you can use THAT as the basis for your Grades value list instead of custom value. By using Custom Value, you will have to add a grade manually every time you need one, whereas if you use the grades table, new grades will just appear in your grades value list when you add a record into grades. Your value lists should be based upon the ID and showing second field (name) only and then use pop-ups to restrict entry to those ID fields to valid IDs. :wink2:

Edited by Guest
Added paragraph :o)

Problem solved. Memo: Value list "Grades" using custom values which did not match values in Grades table. Portal froze despite relationship. Solution: When managing value list "grades", switch "custom values" by "use values from field "Grades::grade_number"

I wish to thank you so much for your support.

Edgard

• 4 weeks later...

Select the container and set the graphic format to align left and top.

UPDATE: But now I'm confused ... why is the post called 'Dropdowns dead'?

Edited by Guest

I just made some upgrades to this new database, so now, besides pictures, I want a catalogue to collect them. It would be nice to sort/ filter all those pictures by its related catalogue... even more, this DB is intended to place a picture in several catalogues, so filtering a picture by a given catalogue (in another table), it will show up properly :

From the literature i read on "finding" subject (FileMaker Pro 10; Using FileMaker 9; FM9 Bible), I could not find a way to do this with ease so...

HELP!!!

sliding__2_.zip

I am unsure what you are asking. If you don't want the record to show at all if the container is empty then create a calculation (result is number) with:

not IsEmpty ( container )

Then search for a 1 in this field to generate your report. If you wish something other than this, maybe others understand your need or maybe you can explain a bit more for us because I find nothing in your file which even indicates 'catalog'. If you are talking about Category, then you can include that in your find. I see no reason to create a relationship just to filter by Category unless you need to display the results in a portal but it seems a list works better here. :wink2:

What is the purpose of your Enrollment table? You (from your data example) can have multiple pictures with same Catalog Name but can you also have multiple Catalogs with same picture? If no, your Enrollment table seems unnecessary (and the CatalogID should go in PIctures). In other words, is the Enrollment table a multi-to-multi join table?

Because if Enrollment is the 'one' side and will hold many pictures for each Enrollment, then you have it backwards, ie, you should have the EnrollmentID in Pictures. But again, that depends upon the purpose of the Enrollment table and I am still unclear on that.

Also, why are you using the Catalog Name? You have a CatalogID there and you should be using THAT throughout your solution for the relationship. Once I get clarity, we should be able to provide your answers for you. :wink2:

1 - a relationship between catalogeID doenst work for me (check the file);

I never said it would ... I HAD checked your file and knew that. But you should still use the CatalogID in place of name once we DO have it working - and that's why I questioned about the relationship of Enrollment.

To filter "pictures" based on "catalogue". Do I need to scripting for this action?

No. Why I asked about that Enrollment table is that a join table (many-to-many) is special (n:n). See attached ... you need to use your Enrollments table.

my DB now sucks
This kind of flattery won't get you far. :

slidingREV.zip

Edited by Guest

Get rid of CatalogName from Enrollments. If you wish to display the catalog name, just grab your Catalogs::CatalogName field and place it on your Enrollments layout. You have the CatalogID in there and the only fields this join table should contain are IDs.

You wanted to select a catalog and have the pictures list. I showed you how to do that from the Enrollments form. I now see that you want the pictures listed from the Catalogs table. I've made that change to your file.

Also, you are using a drop-down on your Enrollment::CatalogID field. It must be a Pop-up. Neither have you corrected the value list (again see my file) where I changed it to be based upon CatalogID and also display Catalog Name as second field and below, show only second field. You currently are inserting the Catalog Name into the CatalogID field. Once you correct that data (remove the names from all of the CatalogID fields in Enrollments) then fill in with proper CatalogID, it'll work for you. :wink2:

You still need to:

1) Correct your Catalogues value list. Go to File > Manage > Value Lists. Look at my SlidingRev2 file in the value lists for Catalogues. It should be 'use values from field' and from Catalogues. Then below in the pop-up select the CATALOGID and to the right, 'also display values from catalogue name'. Below, 'Include all values' and 'Show values only from second field.'

2) Go to Enrollments table and change the CatalogID to use POP-UP and NOT drop-down.

3) Then go through all four of your Enrollment records and respecify which catalog they should use by selecting from that pop-up. You currently have the catalog name in that CatalogID field and the relationship will not work because it is based upon CatalogID.

Once you do these things (re-read my posts and check my latest sample file), you should be good to go. :wink2:

Edited by Guest
Corrected the tense from 'You haven't yet' to 'you still need to'

• 1 month later...

Now, while browsing with premade databases in FM10, I picked "contact management" and I got two issues related with "Import" "Export" pictures button as I show here:

1 - When exporting, it does not export as a picture file;

2 - I tried to find a code associated to these buttons, but seems to be a routine, a script, nothing related to a button task. Am I right?

Thanks again. Ed

Contact_Management.zip

This topic is 5359 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.