Sorting Lists - sort order indicators

grumbachr

This topic is 3624 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Can anyone point me towards a more clean solution for sorting and show sort order in a list view? I've been using the technique that is included with many of the older FileMaker free templates.

This requires a global field 2 values to hold the icon.

A calc field for each column you want to sort like, hilite_Status, hilite_City, hilite_State etc... It also requires 3 scripts for each hilite indicator. (So for the 3 columns hilties i mentioned I'd need 9 separate scripts). Can anyone point me towards a more clean solution for sorting and show sort order in a list view?

If I could get this down to maybe on script per column it wouldn't be so bad. This one is just so cumbersome to keep implementing.

the better way would be to use fonts and conditional formatting to make them appear invisible for the unselected column and for the selected column and the current sort order use a font that is cross platform like: ▲ and ▼

For the column header you could even use a calculated repeating field that sets the the column label and includes or excludes the sort direction font dingbat depending on column selection.

Edited by Guest

• 4 years later...

This topic is 3624 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.