Publishing Help

This topic is 4890 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a database that I have built over 5 years that is the heart of my company, now we are expanding and I need to have people off site able to do data entry, seems simple but I am not finding a solution. We Currently share the database locally peer to peer with 4 users.

Network Sharing (hosted offsite)seems to be too slow, unless I change the database I'm told

Instant web publishing works poorly as far as I can tell.

Where should I turn? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Why did the hosting company suggest that "changing" the database will help? Is the current solution in FM8? Is it a multi-file solution?

If yes, I think that updating to FM11 and consolidating to one file will improve your performance. I would, as a developer, review the scripting and calcs to see that they are optimized. I would probably build a dedicated layout for the off-site data entry staff.

Thanks so much!

The database is built in FM8 so it is a single file. (the hosting company gave me a list of operations that should be avoided for faster performance: Summary fields, list views, sorting

sorted portals and relationships, non-native graphics on layouts, unstored calcs, lists that use filtered relationships or that display a second field while storing a key) I thought "What's the point, eliminate all data while your at it, that will make it faster too!"

So, is there really no way of hosting or sharing remotely a large complex FM database in it's full form?

It's not my first choice, but If I made a specific version for data entry... how do we keep the two versions in sync?

I have many clients who access a complex served solution from outside and have no complaints about performance. Their suggested list is the common suggestions. Certainly, if your solution has all of the above, performance may suffer.

Optimizing is really a case-by-case process.

• 4 months later...

Thanks so much!

The database is built in FM8 so it is a single file. (the hosting company gave me a list of operations that should be avoided for faster performance: Summary fields, list views, sorting

sorted portals and relationships, non-native graphics on layouts, unstored calcs, lists that use filtered relationships or that display a second field while storing a key) I thought "What's the point, eliminate all data while your at it, that will make it faster too!"

So, is there really no way of hosting or sharing remotely a large complex FM database in it's full form?

It's not my first choice, but If I made a specific version for data entry... how do we keep the two versions in sync?

FileMaker Network Sharing is very sensitive to network latency. Hence, operations that require a lot of back and forth to the server (such as the ones you list) are going to be noticeably slower over a WAN like the Internet than when running on a LAN, as the WAN is going to have considerably larger latency times than the LAN even with the best-case networks. By minimizing your use of the listed items, you can minimize your impact from the longer latency times.

The other solutions would be to use Instant Web Publishing, as this does the operations locally on the server then only serves the interface over HTTP, or to use Terminal Services or Citrix to run FileMaker Pro clients on the server end of things and only send interface elements to the client machine. Note that the latter is a considerable expense, as it requires more server hardware, pricey software licenses, etc. We, of course, can offer any of these solutions as part of our hosting services.

- John

This topic is 4890 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.