Copy calculation between databases

This topic is 8659 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello everyone,

I can no longer see the forest for the trees and I need help. I have created related databases and I've run into a snag in FileMaker Pro 4.0v1 on the Macintosh.

I have created 70 budget databases that contains transaction records spending or reimbursement by various schools. By selecting a school name, if finds the records and calculates the spending for that school. The 70 databases calculate properly using calculation, summary, and number fields.

Information totaled in each database is copied/related to a database called Form 1, which is a School Summary Sheet, using lookup functions and relationships. Since I discovered that FileMaker Pro 4.0v1 allows a maximum of 50 databases and 50 relationships to be opened and applied at once, I had to create a second Summary Sheet called Form 2. (Form 1 houses half the datbases, Form 2 the other half.) Forms 1 and 2 work fine, all relationships "copy over" accurately from the first and second set of 35 databases. On Form 2, I have the remaining 35 databases.

On Form 1 I have created a calculation field (Code 5 Free Balance) that totals all the spent fields on Form 1 (basically a spent total of Form 1's 35 databases, and it totals correctly).

What I cannot accomplish:

I want the Code 5 Free Balance field copied/related to Form 2, which I have tried by using the lookup function and relationship. It doesn't work. All information that I can find indicates that the field is supposed to be the same type, so I created a number field (Code 5 FB Copy) which = Code 5 Free Balance. I have tried several different possibilities and I cannot get it to work!

The Code 5 Free Balance field will also be used on Form 2 in another calculation to total that school

If each of the 70 files has the same information, but for a different school, you have a major organizational problem with the databases. All the records need to be in one file and be differentiated by a field value. There is no practical limit to the number of relationships in a file. Without more detail, it is hard to make a recommendation, but there is a major problem with how the files are structured. It sounds like you need to cut down a few of the trees! -bd

This topic is 8659 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.