Turning off Browse

This topic is 8580 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I know I've asked this question already, but I've never gotten the correct answer. They say that you can turn of Browse when setting password options. I've gone into the password dialog box, set a password, but when I click on Browse to disable it, it doesn't turn off...at all at all. I asked the question here, and someone told me to just lock the layout or something. What I want to know is why the browse doesn't turn off when I click on it, how to turn it off, and what will be the situation when I do-with regards to getting records and such. What happens when Browse is turned off? I'm thinking of having a related file import the records to make changes then send them back to the master file. Is that okay?

The reason is, I'm designing a database to be served over the web. I have a member database, but I don't want say, members connecting directly to filemaker and browsing the records understand? As opposed to going through the CDML pages. This precaution is merely for web savvy users who may want to 'experiment' and so on. To protect against them gaining access to others records. Thanks in advance.

quote:

Originally posted by proton:

I know I've asked this question already, but I've never gotten the correct answer. They say that you can turn of Browse when setting password options. I've gone into the password dialog box, set a password, but when I click on Browse to disable it, it doesn't turn off...at all at all. I asked the question here, and someone told me to just lock the layout or something. What I want to know is why the browse doesn't turn off when I click on it, how to turn it off, and what will be the situation when I do-with regards to getting records and such. What happens when Browse is turned off? I'm thinking of having a related file import the records to make changes then send them back to the master file. Is that okay?

The reason is, I'm designing a database to be served over the web. I have a member database, but I don't want say, members connecting directly to filemaker and browsing the records understand? As opposed to going through the CDML pages. This precaution is merely for web savvy users who may want to 'experiment' and so on. To protect against them gaining access to others records. Thanks in advance.

Even though the checkbox is there, I do not think that you can turn off browsing. This would essentially stop all access to the database, which is pointless.

Just put a password on the file, or put your Filemaker machine inside the Firewall and serve your web pages via the Lasso plugin to Webstar or something, so that no one has access to the machine.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

quote:

Originally posted by captkurt:

Even though the checkbox is there, I do not think that you can turn off browsing. This would essentially stop all access to the database, which is pointless.

Just put a password on the file, or put your Filemaker machine inside the Firewall and serve your web pages via the Lasso plugin to Webstar or something, so that no one has access to the machine.

Thanks captkurt for the advice. But I still find it strange that they would give the option then. Maybe they should not have? Computering can be soo crazy sometimes *g*. Thanks again.

I think it's FileMaker Inc's way of reminding you that if the database is open, people can browse the information. If you don't want people to be able to browse the information, either give it complete password protection or close it.

quote:

Originally posted by Vaughan:

I think it's FileMaker Inc's way of reminding you that if the database is open, people can browse the information. If you don't want people to be able to browse the information, either give it complete password protection or close it.

What do you mean by complete password protection? I'd greatly appreciate it if you can break it down for me. Thanks a lot.

Define a password. In FMP4 it's File menu, Access Privileges, Define Passwords. Enter a password and click Create.

Now people need to know the password to access the database. No password, no access.

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Vaughan:

Define a password. In FMP4 it's File menu, Access Privileges, Define Passwords. Enter a password and click Create.

Now people need to know the password to access the database. No password, no access.

Vaughan:

Thanks for the info. But I already know how to do that. What I'm trying to do is. I have a user database, and I want users to be able to edit only their record, but not be able to see/edit any other record. So that's why I was asking about the turning off of the Browse. Is there a way I can do this? I'm thinking maybe set up a front end database file. Through which they can import their record from the master file and edit it there or something. Thanks again.

The way this is usually implemented is to give the database a master password, setup no password access to show no menus, deny the ability to create new records, lock the status bar to prevent access to other records.

With this much setup, you will need to create a system to identify the user accessing the database and find and display ONLY that individuals record (you still need browse). If the layout used to display this one record does not allow navigation to other records by buttons or key commands (that why available menu commands must be set to "none"), your objective is met.

To control access you will need to create your own dialog for user name and password. These would be checked against info in a "staff" file or specially created password file. The user name would be used to identify which records would be found and displayed.

It's just not about browse (no magic, it takes more work). If you could turn off browse, the user couldn't see any records, even their own. Kind of complete protection wink.gif -bd

quote:

Originally posted by LiveOak:

The way this is usually implemented is to give the database a master password, setup no password access to show no menus, deny the ability to create new records, lock the status bar to prevent access to other records.

With this much setup, you will need to create a system to identify the user accessing the database and find and display ONLY that individuals record (you still need browse). If the layout used to display this one record does not allow navigation to other records by buttons or key commands (that why available menu commands must be set to "none"), your objective is met.

To control access you will need to create your own dialog for user name and password. These would be checked against info in a "staff" file or specially created password file. The user name would be used to identify which records would be found and displayed.

It's just not about browse (no magic, it takes more work). If you could turn off browse, the user couldn't see any records, even their own. Kind of complete protection
wink.gif
-bd

Hey LiveOak! Thanks man! I'll check that out. It sounds like exactly the solution I need. Thanks lots. And thanks also to Vaughan - who helps me with a lot of stuff. Thanks everybody for your comments.

This topic is 8580 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.