How do I remove file security?

This topic is 3600 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am new to my non-profit organization and upgrading from FMP 4 to FMP 11. The trial went fine, not a single problem. However, after installation and full conversion, no one can use their passwords to get in to the database. None of our passwords will work and we've tried every combination we can think of.

I would like to go into the FMP4 file (we have not yet upgraded all the computers so we can still get into a copy of the file using the old software)and remove all passwords in the Access Privilieges. How do I do this?

In the alternative, is there anything else I can try?

Thank you!!!

I should have elaborate more, because they are migrating 4 to 11 and there is a lot more to it then establishing the new user names.

They should be reading all of the white papers that they can find at FMI and elsewhere, on migrating files from the earlier versions. The online help can assist too, so be sure to look up "Creating and managing privilege sets".

I would Start with this White Paper on How to employ the new security system here

Techbrief security.pdf

There are other Migration White Papers that you should also read as a lot of changes have been made to 11. So many in fact, I would consider rewriting the 4 files in 11 first, in order to take advantage of all of the new features, and then importing the record, and then I would then have the users log in using the method explained in the article I linked to fix their accounts and privileges.

Update:

I did a search at FMI for Migration in FileMaker Pro Adv and came up with this result.

migration

It is no small job rewriting the files in 11, but in IMO it is the best way to convert the files and benefit from all of the new features.

HTH

Lee

This topic is 3600 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By jmichea
      Not sure if this qualifies as a basic question or not but here goes...
      I am looking to do a find for an item that may appear in several different fields across multiple records. For example, I have a record with one section that contains 10 fields listing parts. I want to do a find that will find the name of the part in any or all of those 10 fields. Not sure how to do this.
      Thanks
      Jeff
    • By SnowPatrol
      Hi,
      I have a FileMaker Pro 2.1 database file (11.8MB). I want to be able to transfer this to Access 97. I have tried exporting as a .dbf file but all Iget in access after this is a 365KB file!! It seems to be only exporting the data from the window that is active in FileMaker. I have some Access knowledge but have never used FileMaker before...please help!!!
    • By Kurt Knippel
      quote: Originally posted by charper:
      Filemaker 4.1 has the following two functions described in Help:
      Status (CurrentRepetitionNumber)
      Returns a number representing the current (active) iteration of a repeating field.
      Status (CurrentPortalRow)
      Returns the number of the current row in a selected portal.
      I'm finding that neither of these two functions ever return anything other than zero regardless of what portal row I'm at or what repetition of a repeating field I'm in.
      Am I missunderstanding something here? I'm assuming that "current row" and "active iteration" mean wherever my cursor is currently located - correct?
      I would start with your script. Most likely you are exiting something and putting the activity on some other object. Doing just about anything will activate another object and thus deactivate the location of the cursor.
      ------------------
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
      Kurt Knippel
      Senior Filemaker Developer
      http://www.database-resources.com
      mailto:CaptKurt@home.com
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    • By Urizen
      Hello everyone,
      I am having some trouble. This is the situation. I have two databases, one called Profiles(holds the Last Name of a person and some other info) and the other called Records. I want to link these through the web so that when I create a new record in the Profiles database and enter all the data in it, I want the text field that holds the Last Name in the Profiles database to transfer into another text field in the Records database. Essentially, the Records database is almost like a sub-database to the names in the Profiles database. I am ale to do this using buttons, and Input, and Form, but I wondered how I would do it simply using A HREF?
      The following is the code I used for a page with a button to create a new record in the Records database, after the data in the Profiles had been entered for that person:
      "
      <FORM ACTION="FMPro" METHOD="post">
      <P><INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="-db" VALUE="profile.FP3"></P>

<P><INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="-lay" VALUE="Layout #1"></P>

<P><INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="-format" VALUE="newrecord.htm"></P>

<P><INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="-RecID" VALUE="[FMP-currentrecid]"></P>

<P><INPUT TYPE="submit" NAME="-findall" VALUE="Create New
    • By JAMESP
      We currently run FileMaker Pro 4.1v3 on our home PC on Win95. My teacher wife needs this specific version to prepare a digital report cards for her class. Everyone in her school board must run this version.
      I however wish to purchase and install Filmaker Pro version 5. Can I install v5 separately on my PC without disturbing the files and Windows Registry for 4.1v3? Can the two versions run separately on one PC?
      Does anyone have any experience with this or tips to offer?
      Thanks,
      Jim
      JCPESQ@MAIL.COM

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.