Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How do I remove file security?

This topic is 4845 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am new to my non-profit organization and upgrading from FMP 4 to FMP 11. The trial went fine, not a single problem. However, after installation and full conversion, no one can use their passwords to get in to the database. None of our passwords will work and we've tried every combination we can think of.

I would like to go into the FMP4 file (we have not yet upgraded all the computers so we can still get into a copy of the file using the old software)and remove all passwords in the Access Privilieges. How do I do this?

In the alternative, is there anything else I can try?

Thank you!!!

I should have elaborate more, because they are migrating 4 to 11 and there is a lot more to it then establishing the new user names.

They should be reading all of the white papers that they can find at FMI and elsewhere, on migrating files from the earlier versions. The online help can assist too, so be sure to look up "Creating and managing privilege sets".

I would Start with this White Paper on How to employ the new security system here

Techbrief security.pdf

There are other Migration White Papers that you should also read as a lot of changes have been made to 11. So many in fact, I would consider rewriting the 4 files in 11 first, in order to take advantage of all of the new features, and then importing the record, and then I would then have the users log in using the method explained in the article I linked to fix their accounts and privileges.

Update:

I did a search at FMI for Migration in FileMaker Pro Adv and came up with this result.

migration

It is no small job rewriting the files in 11, but in IMO it is the best way to convert the files and benefit from all of the new features.

HTH

Lee

This topic is 4845 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.