storing FMPro scripts in a separate file

This topic is 4797 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Working in dBase IV years ago, I was able to put many scripts in one file and then refer to them as needed.

A button would perform the script DO GetDate and it would go do that script (that was in a file of many scripts).

It seems in FMP that scripts are always imbedded in the active layout.

How can I store scripts elsewhere?

Thanks

you can store ( copy & paste ) scripts in other files - however when they execute they are context dependent on the active layout/record

the goal for you is to make your code modular and not dependent on context by passing parameters and then the script will navigate to the proper context as needed.

Please update your Profile to reflect what Version of FileMaker you are using, Platform, and OS.

If you have Advance, checkout Clip Manager by My FMButler.

I use it all of the time, and you can copy your scripts to it, and then when you are ready to use it in a different TO, you can search and replace things such as Layout, fields, etc.. before copying them to your file.

HTH

Lee

Working in dBase IV years ago, I was able to put many scripts in one file and then refer to them as needed.

A button would perform the script DO GetDate and it would go do that script (that was in a file of many scripts).

It seems in FMP that scripts are always imbedded in the active layout.

How can I store scripts elsewhere?

Thanks

For context reasons most scripts need to be in the interface file.

But I suggest you turn the question around. You can use the separation model and place your data in another file and view it and interact with it in an interface file.

This topic is 4797 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.