Filemaker Go & Android Tablet

This topic is 4485 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm afraid that it's iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch only right now. I suppose its possible that Filemaker Inc would build a version for Android at some point in the future but my guess is that the chances of that happening anytime soon are low.

To expand a bit; Filemaker Inc. makes their signature product, Filemaker Pro, for the Windows platform as well as the Mac so obviously Apple Inc. is willing to allow their subsidiary to build products for competing platforms. So I think this is really about market share and since Android is building market share quickly, I don't think it is out of the question but I would agree that it is unlikely to be anytime soon. In rough numbers Android has half the market and iOS has the other half. That's probably not enough for Apple to allow FMI to develop FMGo for Android. If the ratio went to 90/10, Android/iOS, then I bet FMI would move in that direction but right now an Android version *may* just tend to kill iPhone sales which obviously would be bad for Apple.

On a personal note my first smartphone was an Android but I'm leaning heavily toward iPhone when the next version comes out in September(?) or October(?). Not so much because of FM Go but because I want my phone to do just a few simple things, like email, web, maps, etc, but I want it to do them well. The iPhone is a much more polished experience it seems to me.

AFAIK, Apple takes no part in FMI's managerial decisions.

I'm not an insider so I have no firsthand knowledge either but it's not much of a stretch to think that the mother can influence the child.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Newbies

I searched lot for android version of Filemaker Go which is available for iOS devices but in vain. And it seems they dont going to port it to android. Mean while my friend suggest me Cellica Database, http://cellica.com/cellicadatabaseandroid.html And to my surprise it is far better than Filemaker Go. I can design custom forms and sync my filemaker database to my galaxy tab. The most important thing is its revolutionary syncing logic which syncs only updated data and its automatically sync in contrast to Filemaker go which requires manual syncing.

I am very happy customer of cellica database. Its worth a try.

Looks like a misunderstanding here. The product has nothing to do with FM Go. It's a similar type of product that runs on various mobile systems, that syncs with a desktop application running on Windows. The desktop app can communicate with FileMaker via ODBC.

Never heard of it before, just spent 5 minutes on their website.

• 4 months later...

I've recently made an Android app for accessing FileMaker databases. It uses the XML gateway of FileMaker server, giving you basic access to your databases. It's got the basic search, sort, edit, add, delete, download, scripts, etc right now, and I plan to continue to add new features. Take a look and let me know if you have any feedback about it.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.smefworks.android.fmdroid

http://smefworks.com/fmdroid

This topic is 4485 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.