Paid for content

This topic is 4351 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Should paid for content appear in a forum? This appears to be akin to advertising. I am not referring to product announcements though I would prefer these to be clearly flagged.

It is the ISO Filemaker ones that annoy me. It is a good service but most of the content requires a subscription and I don't think such content lends itself to open discussion which is, after all, the meaning of the word forum,

Norman

By the way, you will find a lot of different links to Sites here. most of these folks Help pay our bills, but even if they didn't, such as one of the product release announcement, they still provide valuable resources that you may or may not need today, but as you further develop solutions in FileMaker, you'll probably find a need for one of these files, utilities, plug-ins, etc. in the future.

In the meantime if you stumble onto one of these sites and discover that it will cost you money for the product for which you don't have or want to spend Today, just exit out of their site.

Again, keep in mind that these advertisements, sponsors, and the kind folks who donate to the FMForums keep us from having to go to a subscriber situation.

Lee

• 3 weeks later...

I don't usually read the forum using this method, however I noticed (in looking-into this thread), that if I pushed the unread button for RSS Bots, the RSS Bots no longer appear in the "View New Content" area.

Lee

• 5 months later...

No one else? I just clicked New Content and i'm looking at a full page of RSS Bots. Can you make it a user pref to exclude them or anything? How about a button on the list display to mark as read and remove, so I don't have to click into every one of the RSS posts to get it off the list. By the way, many of them keep coming up even though i've read them before..

Not as bad this morning but there are some in the screen shot. It seemed very odd because at one point yeasterday of the 25 posts shown on the first page 21 of them were RSS Bot. Many of them were ones I had already read before and there was even one announcing an event that happenned last week. Almost as though something had gotten reset and they were marked from read back to unread all at once or something. I don't really know, shrugging my shoulders at this point.

Oh, and I ran into several yesterday that were chineese or something..

post-99156-0-93442700-1335528533_thumb.p

The RSS is a feed that we subscribe to it is filtered to find FileMaker related topics - it's source is from http://planetfilemaker.com/ then i scrub it with a bit of Yahoo pipes.

The user account RSS Bot is the account that posts these RSS feeds to the RSS FileMaker Feeds Forum...

but if they are restricted from the VNC then it goes unnoticed as many don't read from the forum hierarchy but from the VNC.

If you want - you can click the last link in the VNC "Filter By Forum" you would have to choose ALL the forums you wish to include in the VNC and just turn off the forums you wish to ignore - this setting is preserved in your user account.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Ocean West. Glad there's a way to filter them on the user level. I don't mind them so much here and there but they do get to be a bit much some times. And of course I understand the need for the RSS Feeds to get exposure. I find the one tedious aspect of VNC is that in order to remove a post from the list I have to click into it. As I mentioned above, it would be nice to be able to click an option to skip or remove it from the list level instead of having to click into it. Then the RSS Feeds wouldn't be a problem as I would have the ability to skip them.

Love the site over all though. I really appreciate all you guys who work on and moderate it :)

This topic is 4351 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.