Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Copyright protection

Anatoli

This topic is 8220 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I think we have a nomenclature problem. FileMaker Pro is the "application" in software terminology. The FileMaker Pro application code is copyright FileMaker, Inc. in the same way that Microsoft Excel is copyright Microsoft, Inc.

FM's term for a template created using FileMaker Pro is a "solution". It is possible to copyright a solution. This situation is somewhat similar to copyrighting a spreadsheet written using Microsoft Excel. The first step is to create an info/splash screen and put the proper notice on it.

-bd

What was originally asked is basically what the Trademark and Patent Office requires for software applications. If you want to copyright a Filemaker solution, you are NOT copyrighting a software application. You are actually copyrighting a specific implementation of a software package.

What you can do is to make a hardcopy of all screens, the relationships, field lists, reports, value lists and all scripts. Then submit this to the TPO with your copyright application. This will basically secure your copyright.

As LiveOak stated you also NEED to create a splash screen in the solution with all of your information, and make this easy for ANY user to see. This really goes along way to protecting your rights.

I also agree.

Yes you can copyright a soloution written using FileMaker Pro, just the same as you can copyright a Applicaiton written using a compiled program such as C++ etc..

The difference is that FileMaker does not create Source Code or Object code as it were. Is more as LiveOak described an Excel Spreadsheet.

One thing to note is that to speed up the application process and avoid delays and rejections you would want to use the proper words and phrases on the correct lines... if you mention anything about display screens or interface etc. The examiner will have to go through the it with a fine tooth comb to determine if it is "copywriteable"

For you references plese refer to:

Nolo Press: Copyright Your Software by Attorney Stephen Fishman

ISBN: 0-87337-494-0

It has helped me and I have a copyright on one of my solutions...

What I submitted was a printout of each layout and each script and relationship and field definitions.

Note it will take almost 3-6 months for your certificate to return to you.

[ October 27, 2001: Message edited by: Ocean West ]

This topic is 8220 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.